First Sleep Over: Do I Have Everything?

LandDiver

Hey HT,

Looking once again for more guidance. I am going out on my first solo back country hunt that'll be just 2 days and 1 night this coming Monday and Tuesday (29-30). The 31st is my 34th birthday so I'm kind of excited and scared for all of this. This will be a spot and stalk hunt. I have packed everything I think I will need for the time spent out there. Please if there is anything I am missing let me know.

I have been to this location before. There is a certain place I remember telling myself you go any further you won't make it back before dark last year. Plus I wasn't in hunting shape at all. I am going back to this very same spot, and pushing pass what I couldn't last year. I have spoke to several people and they all say this place should hold bears.

Below is what I have packed:

SLEEP:
KUIU 15* Super Down Sleeping Bag
Klymit Static V2 Sleeping Pad
KUIU 1P Tent

FOOD:
Optimus Elektra FE Cook System w/ Fuel & Spoon
(2) Mountain House Bacon & Egg Breakfast Meals
(2) Backpacker's Pantry Jamaican Jerk Rice w/Chicken 2 Servings per Bag
- I was thinking about just bringing the 2 breakfast and 1 dinner.
(6) Almond & Cranberry Bars
Bag of Jerky

WATER:
3L Bladder
(2) 1L Bottles of Water
1L Coconut Water
- Once I start gaining elevation I have not come across any water sources yet in this area. Maybe when I get past where I haven't been before there might be, but I don't want to take any chances.
Water Purification Kit

CLOTHES:
KUIU Yukon Pant
KUIU 130 Peloton Zipper Up
KUIU 130 Peloton LS
KUIU 200 Peloton LS Hoodie
KUIU Neck Gaiter
KUIU Hat

OTHER:
Kill Kit
Latex Gloves
First Aid Kit
Extra Shoe Laces
Headlamp w/ Extra Battery
GPS
GoalZero Recharge Pack
Game Bags
Trekking Poles
Full Roll of TP
Wet Wipes
Fire Starter & Waterproof Matches
50' Para Cord

OPTICS:
11-33x50 Vortex Razor HD Spotter
Vortex Tripod
Nikon 10x42 Monarch 7
Old Phone

BOW:
2008 PSE Pro Series X-Force 7

PROTECTION:
I will take my wife's 9mm with me

That is all I can think of for now that I have packed. If there is anything I am forgetting or possible leave behind for this trip? Like I mentioned about I am scared of the unknown. Never having doing this before I want to make sure I am ready.

Thank you!

EDIT: I forgot to add that I might make the 2.5 hour drive to this location Sunday night when my wife get's home from work, rather then wake up early and do the drive then. If so I'll just sleep in my truck Sunday night, and wake up and hit the mountain when I'm ready.

Last edited:
I don't know about you, but I can't stand not brushing my teeth. I know some guys go without though.

Also, I usually bring some Aleve for my aching muscles for extended trips. You may not need it though.

Thanks everyone!

I was planning on using my old phone as a map and compass. Is that wise?

ElkMagnet lol! I guess sleep over isn't the wording lol! Made me laugh when I seen what popped up ha ha!

I would love to bring some of those little drinks along, but for my first time I think I'll leave those behind for now. Don't want to work myself up lol! I am honestly a little scared, and probably won't sleep much. I can't remember the last time I had candy, but maybe I'll grab a couple when I fill up gas.

I take pride in clean teeth myself lol! Thank you. I'll have to throw that in the pack.

Thanks again to you all!

A good man in good country? Doesn't need anything more than a rock and a pine bough for sleep, and the pine bough is a luxury item.

I think you have it pretty well covered. Each trip will get easier and your necessities will become obvious.
Good luck!

I may have skimmed over it but do you have a knife?

Tylenol PM might be a good idea but make sure you know how it affects you before you take it on a hunt. I don't sleep well on it.

I may have skimmed over it but do you have a knife?

Tylenol PM might be a good idea but make sure you know how it affects you before you take it on a hunt. I don't sleep well on it.

Yes got that, 2 different ones. It's what I called my kill kit. Which I'm thinking I should add the knives with the game bags huh?

Attachments

• IMG_0607.jpg
    IMG_0607.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 435
My pack weighs in at 36.5lbs, and that's with 6L of water loaded inside. I know in my other thread about how much walking is to much all of you said slow down. I will definitely take this hike in slow, especially as I make that damn hike up. I'll take a picture of it if I remember.

I decided I'm going to leave tonight and make the drive over. Then get an early jump on the climbing while it's still cool in the early morning. It will give a lot of time to recover lol!

Back