Caribou Gear

2017 Hunting Season - Can't Wait!

bbright

My primary goal this year is to get my boys (15 and 13) into WY to hunt antelope. They average 2 points. All my applications have been focused on leaving the last week of Sept open with a buffer before and after so I can keep my day job. I love to elk hunt and thought a fall back would be an OTC in Idaho or CO.

Recently, I drew a General Archery UT Filmore deer tag that gave me pause - because I really love to elk hunt. Not a slam dunk unit but I have options. Now I drew a late NV 101-109 tag. Still internalizing the potential for the NV hunt but 1 of 7 non-residents with a large mule deer herd and 50% success. Feeling very blessed to have opportunities. The research starts now. I love this process.

The hunt with the boys is the last in a while b/c both boys are into basketball and youngest is into football. Last year for the youngest before HS football which can't be skipped. Everything else is just gravy!

Sounds like a fun and almost stressful fall ahead. I did something kinda similar last fall; One daughter with 2 tags a month apart in SD, Wife and another daughter to WY, Dad to WY a couple weeks later, CO archery elk for a week with a buddy, and wife and one daughter to UT for cow elk. It was a LOT to manage and plan for. Now looking back I'm glad I did it. We never know what may happen in life and I want my family and myself to have these fun memories to hang on to for life. If you can do it financially don't hesitate, do them all. My opinion,..if you have to, and if you can keep your points and be right back to good odds next year, I'd say turn one of your tags back in, but don't skip the kids hunt.
Other advise from an older guy, don't worry about the kids missing football or other activities or school for that matter. My father-in-law who was a principal always said the kids will learn more about life on a week's vacation with their parents somewhere else in the country than they ever will in that week in the classroom. And, two or twenty years from now the lad won't remember how many tackles he got or how many yards he rushed for in the game in Sept. of 2017, but he sure will remember the antelope hunt that he got to do with his dad :) Enjoy the rush and best wishes on all of the hunts!!

Sounds like a fun and almost stressful fall ahead. I did something kinda similar last fall; One daughter with 2 tags a month apart in SD, Wife and another daughter to WY, Dad to WY a couple weeks later, CO archery elk for a week with a buddy, and wife and one daughter to UT for cow elk. It was a LOT to manage and plan for. Now looking back I'm glad I did it. We never know what may happen in life and I want my family and myself to have these fun memories to hang on to for life. If you can do it financially don't hesitate, do them all. My opinion,..if you have to, and if you can keep your points and be right back to good odds next year, I'd say turn one of your tags back in, but don't skip the kids hunt.
Other advise from an older guy, don't worry about the kids missing football or other activities or school for that matter. My father-in-law who was a principal always said the kids will learn more about life on a week's vacation with their parents somewhere else in the country than they ever will in that week in the classroom. And, two or twenty years from now the lad won't remember how many tackles he got or how many yards he rushed for in the game in Sept. of 2017, but he sure will remember the antelope hunt that he got to do with his dad :) Enjoy the rush and best wishes on all of the hunts!!
That last paragraph is something I struggle with annually. Kids are way into sports/activities and due to location a whole lot of the stuff I'd like to do with them means they will have to miss something. This year, we skipped a weekend of basketball to hit the gun season opener. He shot is first buck! I'm guessing he'll remember that more than any two basketball games. But, it's still a struggle for me to have him commit to something and not participate 100%. I'd gladly skip a general season hunt to take my boys on a trip...

I don't have kids yet but I know I wouldn't trade time with my Dad for a Heisman. Time with your loved ones is nothing you will ever regret.

I don't have nearly as much on my plate as far as hunting plans. Just instate deer and turkey hunting in Illinois this fall. But the excitement is SO HIGH. I would hate to wish away the end of summer, but I am really antsy for October 1 to get here so I can get back in the woods. And I can concur about missing High School events in order to spend time with your dad hunting. First time I went turkey hunting was the morning of my senior prom. I don't remember much about prom, but I still remember how my dad called a tom in about 5-10 yards. I missed the shot, but I'll never forget the morning we had.

Back