Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Looking for a Montana black bear

Randy , I hope you get a bear but not till the end of the season , I enjoy your efforts. I am about 2 hours west of you and I have only seen 1 bear.

Randy, I just watched day 12 of your hunt. Loved the series as it truly portrays what most hunts actually are, "hiking with guns or bows". But you can't beat the scenery and other wildlife you saw. I have one week of bear season left and have yet to see a bear, so you've got me beat. Look forward to more of this type of video series.

Randy, I just watched day 12 of your hunt. Loved the series as it truly portrays what most hunts actually are, "hiking with guns or bows". But you can't beat the scenery and other wildlife you saw. I have one week of bear season left and have yet to see a bear, so you've got me beat. Look forward to more of this type of video series.

Thanks. Here is that episode that wraps it up for this season.

[video=youtube_share;VFp5y9dRynA]https://youtu.be/VFp5y9dRynA[/video]

Keep them coming Randy, if you guys go to WY or ID.

I love the simple videos, they are very engaging. It's a much more realistic dialogue for guys like us, sometimes you get em, but more often than not you don't.

Thanks for letting us follow along. Even though you didn't get to put your tag on a bear, I would consider all 12 hunts successful. Well produced and fun to watch

Randy, I enjoyed following you along on your quest for a Montana black bear. just like others you have to put many days in to be successful, and you did. Just a few minutes earlier and you would have taken that huge bear. Next year. Thank you

Loved it, Randy. Thanks for sharing. I found that to be very addicting. Now what am I gonna do for 10 minutes every evening after the kids are in bed? I got hooked in 12 days.

I thoroughly enjoyed following this thread. It depicted public land hunting at its' finest. Keep these kinds of video posts coming our way. I hope you treated the camera crew to a stop at the local Dairy Queen on the way home!

Thanks for taking the time to do these. This was an awesome series, and as I posted on You Tube, a kill is not needed for a hunt to be successful. You just got a jump on being in elk-shape for the coming fall:). I am hoping that this effort at producing shorter daily recaps will give you a good return for the effort. I really enjoyed it.

By the time we measure the one-week results, this bear hunt will have over 120K views and over 1K comments, which is surprising given March-July are the worst periods for outdoor TV viewership. Those numbers are more than you get on a week of TV during prime periods of Q3/4.

With the big success of this, would people watch a new 5-10 minute clip each morning that gives a day-by-day account of a seven-day archery hunt with me and Corey Jacobsen from last September? Or, does it have to be "semi-live" with the outcome still in question?

There is so much behind the scene stuff that I want to show, but 22 minutes on TV don't allow. Give me 7-10 clips that are 5-10 minutes long and you will get a far greater feel for how it really unfolds for us.

Interested in the HT opinions of doing this format with hunts that are yet to air this TV season.

I don't think it has to be "semi-live". A lot of interesting things happen on a hunt that are not part of harvesting an animal. Close encounters with a species you are not or can't hunt is just as exciting. I think of a spring bear hunt in Northern Idaho several years ago. I took an average bear, but what made the hunt were encounters with deer, elk, moose, mountain goats and one monster mountain lion. Leave a blooper in it here and there and it'll make it that much more enjoyable.

The truth is that I like the content so much it doesn't need to be semi live. With that said, it certainly adds to the appeal of bringing the viewer along with you. Knowing that we're only a day behind an active hunt is a lot of fun.

I think one thing that has made the Hush dudes semi live hunts so successful is that there are three of them. If one of them is having a slow day, another might be into some action.

Randy,
I enjoyed the bear hunt it was entertaining, watched every episode. For me personally I've seen so many archery elk hunts I don't think I'd be nearly as interested, but antelope, mule deer that's another story. I won't ever complain about the product you put out there, it's the best out there imo.

Do you ever worry that you may reach a point where enough is too much, I'm not making accusations please don't take it that way but I'm serious in asking that question as I've tired of a lot of things not just hunting shows but other things where imo they reach a point of oversaturation.

By the time we measure the one-week results, this bear hunt will have over 120K views and over 1K comments, which is surprising given March-July are the worst periods for outdoor TV viewership. Those numbers are more than you get on a week of TV during prime periods of Q3/4.

With the big success of this, would people watch a new 5-10 minute clip each morning that gives a day-by-day account of a seven-day archery hunt with me and Corey Jacobsen from last September? Or, does it have to be "semi-live" with the outcome still in question?

There is so much behind the scene stuff that I want to show, but 22 minutes on TV don't allow. Give me 7-10 clips that are 5-10 minutes long and you will get a far greater feel for how it really unfolds for us.

Interested in the HT opinions of doing this format with hunts that are yet to air this TV season.

What your describing and in question about is exactly what people want. And why network outdoor TV will be no more within 5 years unfortunately. Besides the freak shows, somehow they keep surviving.

If it is like your bear hunt then I am sure it would be watched. In your semi-live bear hunt you were talking to us as if we were going with you (at least that is the way I felt) so it was exciting to see what happened in the next day video. If you take segments from your TV shows that explain what you are planning and why would be interesting. I liked the semi-live format.

I only get TV with a antenna so I don't get to see any of the hunting on TV.

Last edited:
Randy, I enjoyed the format and especially the cinematography. The cuts of the wildlife and scenery pulled me into it and got me feeling like I was on the hunt. It's the same way I experience mine.

And I really support the idea of doing this for the archery hunt. I think it is a good sign that today I found a huge black bear on a bushwhacking hike one unit over from where you and Corey hunted.

Thanks for taking the time to do these. This was an awesome series, and as I posted on You Tube, a kill is not needed for a hunt to be successful. You just got a jump on being in elk-shape for the coming fall:). I am hoping that this effort at producing shorter daily recaps will give you a good return for the effort. I really enjoyed it.

I was just looking at the thread to see if he got one. If he did, I was going to binge watch the thing, but since he didn't I won't ;).

I would rather see a story in one sitting, not at a rate ten minutes per day, but you never know what works well unless you try it. Remember when we had to wait eight months to find out who shot JR?

Back