Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bear: Shot Placement

LandDiver

So I've been reading that you shouldn't shoot at a bear as you would with a deer or an elk. That when it comes to a bear, your better off aiming for literally a few inches in front of dead center of the bear.

Vital organ comparisons show a difference, especially in the lungs. Really interested to see what you guys and gals of HT have to say. Don't want to start any arguements, just wanting to learn more.

What's been your experiences? Shot placement and was the bear recovered or not. I don't have a rifle, so if any of you have experience with your bows and shot placement that'll be great. I'd love to hear from the rifle people as well.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I would argue just the opposite. I think especially on bears that the preferred RIFLE shot is right through the shoulders. It will effectively anchor them and all of their vital organs are either in the bullets path or subject to the shrapnel effect from breaking bones (depending on position of their stride at impact). For BOW just behind the shoulder. Aiming for "dead center" is simply to far back in my opinion.

Here is a link to a lot of different pictures and vital organ drawings.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...placement+guide+black+bears&fr=yset_ie_syc_hp

Last edited:
I would argue just the opposite. I think especially on bears that the preferred RIFLE shot is right through the shoulders. It will effectively anchor them and all of their vital organs are either in the bullets path or subject to the shrapnel effect from breaking bones (depending on position of their stride at impact). For BOW just behind the shoulder. Aiming for "dead center" is simply to far back in my opinion.

Here is a link to a lot of different pictures and vital organ drawings.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...placement+guide+black+bears&fr=yset_ie_syc_hp

+1 on this. I've always thumped them right through the shoulders with the rifle and they've gone nowhere.

Ya I shoot them half way up the shoulder and right behind. With rifles I like a slight quartering angle so I can break their off shoulder

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back