Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Edumicate Me: A Public Lands Reading List

jquigley

Now that I've been hunting a few years and don't feel like I have to spend all my time researching ways not to die, I'm ready to broaden my education.

I don't often chime in on public land issues here on HT. I simply assume I lack the context to contribute in a meaningful way. So, if you were looking to educate a newbie on public lands issues and history, what would your must consume books, articles or videos list look like?

Shoutout to JR for pointing me towards Timothy Egans The Big Burn, which feels like a great primer.

I 2nd Last Stand. its a great book. I've just started reading it again

Follow it up by:

The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the fire that saved America. It tells 2 stories, the history of the Big Burn of 1910 and the formation of the Forest Service through Roosevelt and Pinchot. Its a captivating read and easy to get through.

The Wilderness Warrior: Theodore Roosevelt and the Crusade for America. This is a HEAVY book, both in length and scope but pretty lays out the history of public lands and the people that fought for them.

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't add "A Sand County Almanac" to any hunters list. While not specifically about public land, the "Land Ethic" layed out by Aldo Leopold is something this country needs if we are going to have wild places open to those "unborn generations" ahead of us

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't add "A Sand County Almanac" to any hunters list. While not specifically about public land, the "Land Ethic" layed out by Aldo Leopold is something this country needs if we are going to have wild places open to those "unborn generations" ahead of us

I've actually read this a couple times now. Totally agree, it needs to be part of any library on the topic of conservation in general. Thanks for the tips!

I'd also recommend getting some acquaintance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and Federal Land Policy Management Act (FLPMA). They don't tell you how or why federal public lands came to be, but having an understanding of them will give you better insight into how things are done for the management of those lands.

Let us not forget the Organic Act and the Multiple Use and Sustained Yield Act.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back