Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Dead Indian Wyoming

Millsworks

Has anyone done any hunting for deer in the past, or hiked around in region F near dead Indian.
Is there alot of ATV use there during and before the seasons open?
Going to spend some time there this fall. Might camp near there if it's not to crowded or noisy with ATVs and generators.
Looks on the map to have good amount of camping sites.
That's not always a good thing in my experience.

Thanks

youre wasting your time bringign an atv. very few roads and the roads that are there you can drive a truck on unless conditions go south

I hunted in the Shoshone N.F. Was there in early November a couple of years ago hunting mule deer. You can only walk or ride horses in there. Had a guide with horses.

Take precautions. I saw one grizzly rolling logs over though all the Bear Aware signs implied visitors can relax in November. Also saw a pack of wolves one afternoon. Amazing scenery and I would go back in a heartbeat.

I would be very careful if sleeping in a tent and in any event store food up high and do not eat near the tent. I would have gone solo if not for the bear factor. I prefer to hunt first and last light away from the road which means moving around in the dark. Deer tend to be more active at first and last light. I would also take extreme caution if hiking through willow stands or tall grass near creeks. My guide earlier in the summer was on horseback so rocks being moved around and horse sounds yet still startled a young grizzly bear that apparently was napping in the tall stuff and a rodeo resulted as everyone had an "oh crap" moment or two.

There are nice resident deer though the arrival of nasty winter weather to the NW will eventually push a lot more deer to migrate into F.

Take precautions and have a fantastic hunt!

WY deer cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Not wanting to run an ATV. Wanting peace and quiet in camp.
If an area is full of generators and ATV traffic then I'll camp elsewhere.
Don't know the word on a deer tag yet. I'll be up in the area elk hunting though, so will scout it for a future deer hunt anyway.
Hopefully will draw a region F tag.

Area looks good on the maps for camping and hunting.
If it's usually crowded though, I would probably go hunt north of the Clark's fork river. Or at least camp up there and travel out from there.

you are better off south of the clarks fork, far more elk that way. been hunting 51-9 tag last few years and lots of wolves to the north.

I hunted in the Shoshone N.F. Was there in early November a couple of years ago hunting mule deer. You can only walk or ride horses in there. Had a guide with horses.

Take precautions. I saw one grizzly rolling logs over though all the Bear Aware signs implied visitors can relax in November. Also saw a pack of wolves one afternoon. Amazing scenery and I would go back in a heartbeat.

I would be very careful if sleeping in a tent and in any event store food up high and do not eat near the tent. I would have gone solo if not for the bear factor. I prefer to hunt first and last light away from the road which means moving around in the dark. Deer tend to be more active at first and last light. I would also take extreme caution if hiking through willow stands or tall grass near creeks. My guide earlier in the summer was on horseback so rocks being moved around and horse sounds yet still startled a young grizzly bear that apparently was napping in the tall stuff and a rodeo resulted as everyone had an "oh crap" moment or two.

There are nice resident deer though the arrival of nasty winter weather to the NW will eventually push a lot more deer to migrate into F.

Take precautions and have a fantastic hunt!

View attachment 71222

Sorry to high jack this thread, but that looks like and awesome piece of country back there. You got any more pics from that trip? Def very cool. Nice Muley too.

Has anyone done any hunting for deer in the past, or hiked around in region F near dead Indian.
Is there alot of ATV use there during and before the seasons open?
Going to spend some time there this fall. Might camp near there if it's not to crowded or noisy with ATVs and generators.
Looks on the map to have good amount of camping sites.
That's not always a good thing in my experience.

Thanks

Anyone camp near Dead Indian?
Would like to. Any good or bad experience info would be appreciated.

Bears not likely going to bother a camp unless it's got something left out that attracts them.
Particularly near area with human activity. My back country camp might get a visitor, but that's the risk you take hunting in grizzly country.
Was thinking of a base camp near the dead Indian area in late Oct. when I'm there elk hunting.
My elk area is the unit 51 type-2 above sunlight. I'm sure the grizzlys are in more numbers there. The snow might get deep enough too make camping up in the Beartooth area touph. So, if I camp south of the high country I should avoid the sketchy winter storms that blow in and trap you in camp.
This post was an attempt too find out if lots of people camp south of sunlight or if lots use ATV on the roads there.
Would rather have peace and relaxation in base camp. Especially after a two or three day back packing treck all over the steep mountains looking for game.
Would rather deal with grizzly than a bunch of obnoxious, drunk, moter cross, busy bodies all around my base camp keeping awake till midnight.

Sounds like not alot of people camp in the northwestern part of Wyoming after September. Wondered if it is the same around dead Indian or along Sunlight Crandall near the road at least. I'm sure once you get back away from the roads it is less likely to be disturbed. But my base will always be near a good road for access and easy movability.

Last edited:
Originally, this hunt was planned for myself and my son to spend some time together before he headed off for college.
My son passed away in March, not long after we drew our tags to elk hunt.
I was going to call off the trip, but I think I need to get away for awhile. The high country will hopefully help me clear my mind and maybe find a little peace in this world.

Since the safety of my son is no longer an issue, the nothern area of the Beartooth up around the Morrison Jeep trail is looking like where I'll be. That was my first choice anyway.
Looks like my hunting partner will be a good shotgun ,kept close at night.

If I can live through the death of my only son, then grizzlys will be a cake walk.

Good luck this fall guys. See ya out there maybe.
Thanks.

Wow, millsworks, so sorry for the loss of your son. I hope the high country will give you what you seek.

A little alone time on top of a mountain looking over beautiful country couldn't hurt.
An elk would be great bonus, but a get away is needed dearly.

Thanks all.

I hope you find what your are searching for. Nothing better than being on the mountain by your self. Enjoy the peace and solitude.

Mills I hope you have a good hunt and can find whatever it might be that your needing. Sometimes we don't know what we need until we find it. If I hunt unit 22 sure hope you'll stop in for a visit. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks guys. I have the coffee hot in camp for whoever stops in.
Good luck this fall.

Sorry to high jack this thread, but that looks like and awesome piece of country back there. You got any more pics from that trip? Def very cool. Nice Muley too.

Have lots of pictures from that adventure. I have been fortunate to be on dozens of hunts around the West and this mule deer hunt provided 5 or so of the best 10 moments of all my hunts. The weather was cold and windy and snowy most days yet at times almost calm with blue skies so could see mountain peaks miles away. Never saw a footprint or another hunter while in the Shoshone, just me and the guide plus critters. Never saw a beer can or plastic bottle or other crap slobs leave behind. Might have been under the snow but ridge tops were clear of snow and never saw trash.

This picture is the horse, I think is Hustler, that decided to go tap-dancing on an icy ridge near sunset this same day. I bailed uphill from the saddle after about 10 seconds. The ridge was quite steep so bailing downhill would have been a dive of several feet. Gravity kicked in as I softly landed after bailing and I promptly slid under the tap-dancing feet of the mountain horse. Ended up mostly unscathed. 100% my fault as I was letting the horse grab bits of grass now and then along the trail which distracted him as we crested the ridge quickly passing from a foot of snow to glazed ice on the wind-swept, sun-exposed rocky ridge side.

Millsworks will see much of the same country and is good for the soul.

2015 11 16 WY Deer upload horse.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back