Caribou Gear Tarp

Pickup camper vs tow-behind for hunting

Epfd217

I'm a backpack hunter during some seasons and I will base camped at other times. I've always envisioned a slide-in truck camper as a great option. It avoids the pitfalls of towing a trailer over rough roads and allows the option to tow a trailer if a 4wheeler is an option. I frequently hunt by myself or with one friend.

Last year a friend borrowed me his pop-up camper for a Nov cow hunt and it worked great. There was a small MPG penalty while towing compared to a full size camper and the camper offered more space. It was colder to sleep in, but cold doesn't worry me. The upside is it was still comfortable and we had plenty of room. Additionally, It was much easier to drop off at a campsite and hunting from the truck was still pretty simple.

I've never owned a truck camper, but the thought it still on my mind as I've found a couple worth looking at. Any thoughts? What do you use?

I think the biggest issue with a slide-in truck camper is that you lose all of the cargo space in the bed of your truck. Where would you put big things like coolers? I have a Jumping Jack trailer that I love. It is similar to a pop-up camper in size and comfort, but it will go places that would tear up a standard pop-up. And I can tow 2 ATVs or a side-by-side on its top deck.

My brother had a slide-in camper for a couple of years. It made the truck top heavy even though it was mounted on a full size 3/4 ton pick-up. You wouldn't want to take it on any rough roads. On the plus side you can drop it at the campsite of you choice and have your truck to use.

I had a pull trailer, now have a slide in camper. I hauled that camper to the top of the Shirley's so you can take them about anywhere but, all of them are cheap and you'll eventually shake them apart.
The camper works for just one, two at the max. A slide would help but again, you'll shake it if you are on rough roads for any period. The pull trailer is nice because you have more room and the atv can ride in the back of the truck.
Hunting partner has a pop up. They'll go anywhere and because they're light you won't shake them apart. They're cold as hell in the middle of winter with the canvas sides and my wife wasn't to keen on the "security" of the canvas. Non issue to me but .....
I think we're moving to a pull trailer again but if it was just me, I'd find a pop up. The used ones I looked at were running 3500 + and several had molded canvas.

Last edited:
Find a dealer with slide ins on the lot and go look at them, Artic Fox makes a really nice 4 season slide in. Most all of them of a decent size to fit 2 people required a 1 ton to keep them from being 2 top heavy. I wouldn't want to take one down a mountain road with the height and top heaviness. There are some videos on YouTube that show guys trying it and the challenges. For us it came down to the Money involved. 12-30 grand for a used slide in with a slide. F350 supercrew with airbags 60 grand. Horrible mileage as a daily driver.

We chose to buy a small cargo and add a enclosed awning to it. We simply couldn't justify the cost for how much we would use it. You can go a lot cheaper for a slide in but you get what you pay for.

I think the biggest issue with a slide-in truck camper is that you lose all of the cargo space in the bed of your truck. Where would you put big things like coolers? I have a Jumping Jack trailer that I love. It is similar to a pop-up camper in size and comfort, but it will go places that would tear up a standard pop-up. And I can tow 2 ATVs or a side-by-side on its top deck.
What do you feel are the advantages of the Jumping Jack over a regular utility trailer and wall tent?

What do you feel are the advantages of the Jumping Jack over a regular utility trailer and wall tent?

The biggest advantage for me is ease of setup and mobility. I hunt alone much of the time, and I can set up or take down my Jumping Jack in under 5 minutes by myself. There is no way I could do that with a wall tent. They are significantly more expensive than just buying the wall tent/utility trailer combo you mentioned, but they are built like tanks. I plan on keeping mine for a long time, so that helped me justify the cost. If I were to sell it, they have excellent resale value.

Have you come up with a way to heat them? I'm guessing that one of those would heat well enough with a lantern and/or propane heater for when you are not sleeping. I was surprised how much a lantern warmed a springbar tent I borrowed once.

Have you come up with a way to heat them? I'm guessing that one of those would heat well enough with a lantern and/or propane heater for when you are not sleeping. I was surprised how much a lantern warmed a springbar tent I borrowed once.

I use a propane Buddy Heater in mine (obviously I don't run it while sleeping). Gets toasty pretty quick. I haven't had any issues with condensation. I know some people with wall tents will complain about condensation when using propane heaters.

This is still our choice of shelter. It's tough to beat a trailer with a furnace when it's raining or snowing and below zero temps are the norm.
Of course we are limited to where we can take it.

DSCN0690.jpg

trailer-1.JPGtrailer-3 - Copy.JPGtrailer-4.JPG

I'm getting ready to sell my trailer if you are interested. $5200 takes it. Has a camper furnace installed under the front cabinet.
These are not the most recent photos.

How do the jumping jacks handle heavy snow?

I have never had mine out in really heavy snow, but pretty much everyone I spoke to before buying mine said they handled it well. If you get a really wet snow that tends to stick, I was told it is a good idea to clear off the roof with a broom or something.

I had an Arctic Fox 811 for my short bed Chevy for 9 years. It was heavy but extremely comfortable. It was great when the girls were small and we would camp more often but the last few years we didn't get out as much and the only time I would use it would be Elk season. I sold it last year for lack of use.

As others have said, they are top heavy and you're limited to where you can go on nasty roads, but the same applies to a trailer. I've looked at them for several years and have really been thinking about one of the Four Wheel Camper pop up truck campers. Very light weight, much more mobile and people take them on some fairly rugged roads and trails.

If you were truly looking for something that could basically go wherever your truck can, short of a tent, I would give them a hard look. There is also another company that makes an almost identical one out of Colorado. All Terrain Camper.

IMG_0068.jpg
IMG_0782.jpg
I have both but use the truck camper for hunting trips. Mine is a simple set up, light and handles well in my 3/4 ton dodge. I hunted Chukars last January with night time temp in the low teens without problems. The propane furnace keeps the inside warm enough and with a 200w solar set up I can camp indefinitely as long as the propane doesn't run out.

Thanks for the input so far. Our current camper is a 35' trailer with 2 slides and the kids have their own bunkroom. Its a great trailer for the family, but I would never think to drag it 1000 miles for a hunting trip. We see 5th wheels every year when we go camping, but almost all of them are locals and I'm fairly certain they are making more than one trip to get there.

I have checked out the jumping jack trailers online in the past. I like the concept, but they require so many additional pieces. You still need to provide heating, cooking etc. I do like that it can double as a utiltiy trailer in the off-season thought.

Since the trailer will most likely only be used in the later seasons it seems like the popup route is looking more and more appealing.

Great discussion. I was surprised to see so many responses.

I got an Army M101A2 utility trailer from a government auction. I am in the process of painting it, having a custom canvas made for it, adding on-board water and power (2 deep cycles and solar panels). I've got my gear all organized in waterproof cases, and I have a 10 man Turbo Tent. To me, this is the best compromise, as the army trailer is simply bullet proof (and cheap!) the turbo tent is the size of a big wall tent (10ft. by 20ft.) but I can set it up myself in 10 minutes. The trailer affords me the ability to bring a comfy camp, it will fit in my garage, and I can use it to haul stuff other than hunting/camping.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back