Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Got it done!

Dgaugler33

We drove 29hrs and got to NW Montana Sunday afternoon and hiked in a closed off logging road about 4 miles in and set up camp. First night was unsuccessful other than some morels. We went into day 2 wanting to get higher and glass down. We came across some big tracks in the snow. I have a big boot and these were bigger than my boot. I was thinking grizzly but if you montana guys could confirm that. Anyways we saw a smaller bear that looked like a young boar pop out at 60yds and we passed. Right before dark a big old sow popped out 350yds out. She went back in and we decided to get closer. Well two wolves popped out where she came out and saw us and started running at us. I waved my arms and they shot back into the timber. 2 minutes later she popped back out in the same spot. While my brother glassed her I crawled 200yds up to the crest of the hill and laid down and flipped my bipod out. The wind was swirling and any second she was going to wind us. I finally got comfortable and let it rip. She folded and rolled down the hill and got caught up in some brush. Made for a long night but was so worth it! I truly cannot believe it even happen. As it happened so fast it didn't hit me until we walked up on her. Her face has been rubbed and had a white patch on her chest. FWP aged her 18+ years old. The tooth they wanted to pull wasn't even there anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_5817.jpg
    IMG_5817.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_5819.jpg
    IMG_5819.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_5812.jpg
    IMG_5812.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_5844.jpg
    IMG_5844.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 525
Those drives are a real pain while they're happening, looking back it all becomes part of the adventure, especially when it ends in a big old bear, congrats!

Congrats on a successful hunt and an awesome old bear! I'm no expert, but that definitely looks like a big black bear track to me. The foot pad and toes are curved on black bears.

I'd say it was probably a black bear track as well. It looks like the dimples in the snow from the claws are only an inch or so in front of the toes? Those tracks get a bit bigger when they melt into the snow. Congrats on your bear!

Thanks everyone! I went out here just wanting to be in back country and not expecting to harvest a bear. This is just a big bonus! My bones and muscles hurt in places they have never hurt. But each time I come out here I learn so much more. You western guys truly have it made out here. Back to the Midwest I go to my deer and turkey lol. Thanks for all the snow reports as well coming into the season. Spending 3 days in the mountains we didn't experience a drop of rain. NW Montana that is very odd!

That is an old matriarch, Congrats!

Interesting that she had no cubs.

I know this sounds odd but take a close look at her nipples. If they are stretched and leathery then she may be barren due to old age. On the other hand if they are smooth and appear to be unused then there is a VERY HIGH likelihood (here in NW MT) that she is a hermaphrodite and will also have a small baculum. There were two old "females" harvested here in Lincoln County last year that were confirmed by the FWP biologist as hermaphrodites. Both were discovered due to their "maiden nipples" and then a quick exam of their nether region!

P.S. It is hard to tell from that photo but my guess is that's a melted out black bear track.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back