Kimber rifles

As an owner of 3 Kimber rifles, I have nothing but positive things to say about each. Their performance on the range and in the field speaks for itself. 6.5 creed or 7mm-08 would be a fine start for your wife. My lady shoots the Mtn Ascent in 7mm Rem mag very well, though it is has a brake which helps a lot for her.

I have a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a very nice rifle. 1/2 MOA shooter for the first couple of shots, then the thin barrel heats up and accuracy starts to deteriorate until it cools down.

A great hunting rifle. Weighs less than 5 pounds.

Those kimber Montana 84M are pretty tough to shoot good especially for a beginner. You have to have good consistent form with them as they weigh so little they will for sure bring to light bad shooting form. Now the 84L seems to be more forgiving to me which is should be being a little more heavy but you still have to pay attention to what you are doing.

I was told the same dealing with my 84M. I spent many range and reload bench hours trying to get a MOA group. A sako that was 2 ounces more fixed my problem with accuracy and feeding. Mine was sent back too, the same lame re-crown deal everyone else gets.

Kimbers are junk. Please PM me with any you are willing to sell. Don't bother if you want retail, they just aren't worth that.

BTW, looking for a 223.

Kimbers are junk. Please PM me with any you are willing to sell. Don't bother if you want retail, they just aren't worth that.

BTW, looking for a 223.

I've tried this approach with Remington rifles. Never had any takers. mtmuley

I've heard the purchase of a Kimber referred to as Kimber roullette. mtmuley

The only rifle with pages long forum topics with problems. Nuff said. Those who have a good one, good for you but there is no denying they have their share of lemons compared to other brands in the same price range.

Friend of mine has some of their pistols. Outstanding handguns. Must be where Kimber's focus is. Always thought their rifles were spendy for what they are. mtmuley

I own the Kimber Hunter in 280AI. For $800 you get a match grade barrel, trigger and chamber. The stock is better than any other $800 rifle. That being said, the main reason I bought the Kimber is you will not find a rifle under $1500 chambered in 280AI. Which is arguably the most versatile round out there if you handload.

I owed Kimber 84 Montana 260 Rem for a couple of years and gave up on it. The most inaccurate Rifle I have ever owned and plenty of feed problems. I have heard they are getting better these days, but still wouldn't touch another.

match grade barrel, trigger and chamber.

Just to clarify a bit. Since there is no true standard for what makes up a Match Grade Barrel, Any company, not just Kimber can claim a "Match Grade Barrel and Chamber" There is no industry standard of what actually makes a match grade barrels or (for most calibers) chamber. Without the specs to back up the claim, it's smoke and mirrors. In my finding you WILL NOT get a better barrel or chamber on a Kimber than on a Tikka, Rem 700, Winchester 70, a Howa, or probably even a ruger american. Kimber is a great company at marketing firearms, and frankly they are far better at marketing firearms than actually making firearms. Kimber rifles are made in New York, Last I heard their lead riflesmith was located in Kalispell, MT. How much sense does it make to not have your Boss on site every day looking over quality?!?!?! If anyone wants to hear my full story of Kimber's quality control and customer service, PM me. Personally, I would recommend (like others have said) if you get a good one, keep it. If you get a bad one RUN.

I bought a Kimber 8400 in .325 in 2006 for $1000. In 2009 I traded it on a new production Winchester model 70 in .325, paid $730. The Winchester action is smoother than the Kimber was, it's more accurate than the Kimber, lower recoil (yeah it's a bit heavier...), and FAR less copper fouling in the barrel. Yeah, it's a bit heavier and they don't have some of the cool new calibers; but IMHO the Winchest m70 is a superior rifle to the Kimber in every other way.

I owed Kimber 84 Montana 260 Rem for a couple of years and gave up on it. The most inaccurate Rifle I have ever owned and plenty of feed problems. I have heard they are getting better these days, but still wouldn't touch another.

I haven't seen where they're any better once the lead starts hitting paper.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back