Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Kimber rifles

02350FC

I am the chair of a California waterfowl dinner and I just had my event and this years gun of the year is a kimber 6.5 creedmore sweet gun with a submission garantee! It got me looking and now I'm curious of the different kimber rifles. I like the mountain acsent but the hunter is a grand cheaper anyone have any feed back for them? I was looking at a rifle for my wife a rifle to start shooting with her recent interest in hunting. I was also thinking about a browning bar.

Just food for thought... A super light weight rifle might not be the best gun to learn how to shoot. Recoil can become a concern even in smaller cartridges.

Can't speak for limber other than the mountain assent is on my short list for my next rifle. I'm writing to say that 6.5 creedmoor is an amazing round for anyone but as a beginner caliber I think its the best one out there. I wish they would chamber youth guns in it. Its crazy accurate, easy on the shoulder, and great for deer sized game and smaller.

The hunter is a great package, same stock shape as the Montana, but with a DBM and different material. The DBM can be great for new shooters not having to deal with a top loader or wonky hinging floor plate. To boot the weight is a nice balance of light, but not ultralight which can hinder accuracy.

I own a Kimber Montana in a .300 WSM and a Hunter in a .243. Kimber was able to save money by making the stock out of polymer and that is the only thing cheap...but it works. My Montana is a pleasure to shoot and the Hunter has the same recoil pad and stock shape so I wouldn't be afraid of recoil in larger caliber than my .243. I really like my Kimber rifles and plan on getting one in a .280 AI someday.

Can't speak for limber other than the mountain assent is on my short list for my next rifle. I'm writing to say that 6.5 creedmoor is an amazing round for anyone but as a beginner caliber I think its the best one out there. I wish they would chamber youth guns in it. Its crazy accurate, easy on the shoulder, and great for deer sized game and smaller.

With Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, or E-tips the 6.5 is an elk slayer as well.

A friend of mine has a 280ackley. Shoots great, but had to send it back, it wouldn't pull the 2nd round up after first shot and o e other issue. All have been corrected, but I won't buy a gun without either a trap door magazine or detachable magazine.

I have a Kimber Montana in a .325 WSM and love it. The factory trigger is pretty impressive. Recoil is substantial but not near as bad as I expected for such a light rifle. Accuracy is also a lot better than I expected. A 280 AI is on my want list and that Hunter is very appealing, especially for the price.

Those kimber Montana 84M are pretty tough to shoot good especially for a beginner. You have to have good consistent form with them as they weigh so little they will for sure bring to light bad shooting form. Now the 84L seems to be more forgiving to me which is should be being a little more heavy but you still have to pay attention to what you are doing.

I own two kimbers, a 84l select grade in 30-06 and a Mountain Ascent in 7mm-08. Both shoot sub-moa with factory ammo. I will say that the Ascent takes a little finesse to get the accuracy out of it. I think the weight on the Montana is a good balance between light and stable for most shooters.

My M84 Classic in 308 has put elk, deer and pronghorn in the freezer over the past 15 years. Its light barrel can be sensitive to over heating, but that is more of an issue at the range than in the field. It's a fine rifle to carry and shoot. if you buy any rifle that has a problem, by all means send it back!

if you buy any rifle that has a problem, by all means send it back!

After having to deal with Kimber customer service in the past, I'd have a hard time recommending sending a gun back to them. I love my Classic Select, but my dealings with Kimber to fix some issues left a very bad taste in my mouth.

They're a fantastic design, and a great deal for the components you get. Their quality control and customer service leave a lot to be desired though.

I think randy 11 could comment more, but the weatherby camilla is designed for women hunters. If I remember right his wife has one that has been a good one. Not trying to hijack the thread just food for thought.

After having to deal with Kimber customer service in the past, I'd have a hard time recommending sending a gun back to them. I love my Classic Select, but my dealings with Kimber to fix some issues left a very bad taste in my mouth.

They're a fantastic design, and a great deal for the components you get. Their quality control and customer service leave a lot to be desired though.

I had a Kimber 8400 Classic in .325WSM. It started out as a great rifle, but I also had some Serious issues with Kimber's customer service after the barrel bulged about 100 rounds in. It has been several years since that happened; and I hope that things have changed, but I would recommend offloading any kimbers that have issues instead of dealing with their customer service. For my rifle, it took 3 trips back to New York and nearly 9 months to get the rifle in a condition where I could sell it.

I think randy 11 could comment more, but the weatherby camilla is designed for women hunters. If I remember right his wife has one that has been a good one. Not trying to hijack the thread just food for thought.

Yeah, my wife used this rifle last year and was very happy with it. She really liked the stock ergonomics compared to a conventional rifle.

Mkotur- That sucks to hear. Luckily my issues were able to be taken care of by a local gunsmith and I have a rifle I really enjoy hunting with now.

A less expensive option to the Camilla is the Lady Hunter offered by Savage. The Monte Carlo stock design used by Weatherby (available in the Vanguard) is reported to often times fit women better than most "classic" stocks.

A less expensive option to the Camilla is the Lady Hunter offered by Savage. The Monte Carlo stock design used by Weatherby (available in the Vanguard) is reported to often times fit women better than most "classic" stocks.

Everywhere we looked the Camilla was pretty consistently selling for $50-100 less than the Savage, and glancing at gunbroker that still seems to be the case. We had originally planned on buying the Savage, but after holding both of them at the same time there was no contest as to which was the nicer gun. Much better fit/finish/wood on the Weatherby. Add in the $100 savings at our local store and it was a no-brainer.

Back