Why not use pac boots Elk hunting?

Addicting

I am looking for a new pair of good boots for this years Elk hunt in MT in the drainages up and down the Madison Valley. I've looked at Whites, Schneels, and Kenetrek. I don't want a insulated boot, I plan on adjusting temp requirements with different kenetrek socks.

In Michigan where I hunt it is most exclusively with PAC boots. Muck, lowas, Rockies are good for 2 years if lucky. All three of the manufacturers I'm looking at offer something similar with good tread options. Why do most western hunters seem to be using regular boots with gaiters over PAC boots? Is it mainly because of ankle support? Do Pacs cause more blisters?

Interested to hear your thought from those that have some experience.

BigFin I can save that question for tonight on your Q&A if you would rather.

Thanks Tony

I hunt in southwest MT. If no snow on the ground I use boots(lowas). Once there's snow I use my PAC boots. I feel in my boots I slip more than in my PAC boots once there's snow on the ground. That's just my personal experience, others will differ. The small group I hunt with do it the same way.

If got insulated White's and Schenees.

For uninsulated make sure and look at Hoffman.

They flex too much so they don't grip the ground. You will slip all over on hillsides, at least I did. As long as I'm walking I hunt in my Lowas no matter the temp.

I wouldn't wear PAC boots unless hunting deep snow. PAC boots can't compete against backpacking boots for climbing hills and covering miles of territory.

I use to archery hunt and rifle hunt in Schnee's Hunter II "Pac boots". I have never had a blister in these boots.

The only reason I have switched over to "regular" boots (Lowa Tibet) is that they are lighter, less bulky, and offer good support in the terrain I typically find elk in the mountains (in archery season). As someone else stated, if there is snow or it is "sloppy", I will go to the Schnee Hunter II. I like the tread on the Hunter II. It provides excellent footing in these conditions.

I cannot imagine walking 15+ miles in pack boots. Even in deep snow, I stick with real boots. And never insulated.

Yep, too much flex and not enough ankle support for me.

I wear pac boots when hunting in snow deeper that about 6 inches. I alway keep my regular hunting boots in the truck for packing out meat. I once packed out an elk quarter wearing pac boots and they are terrible. They slip everywhere, there is no ankle support and there is no around the foot itself. Makes for very sore feet.
I put my regular boots on for the second load of elk quarters and my feet felt great.

I appreciate all the responses, I was leaning towards a pair of mountain extremes NI but was trying to justify the expense. I was looking at the Schnees Hunter II and the Kenetrek Grizzly. By their discription thought it may of been a good compromise between Midwest and western hunting.

I got a pair of Kenetrek Insulated Grizzlies about 12 yrs ago.Love them for cold & deep snow. Work better than some hunting boots I have had for hiking/hunting.
Got Lowa insulated Tibets two yrs ago & have not hunted in the packs since.

Interesting thread. I got a set of Schnee hunter II pac for my college graduation present in 1998. I've had them rebuilt twice. If there is snow on the ground - I wear them. I have no idea how many miles I have on them, but I have done 3500' elevation days in the Madison range during late fall / winter. I've packed elk with them. By far my most comfortable boots.

I've done many days in my Scarpa's and La Sportiva "Glacier" boots. I love both of those for ankle support - but when the ground freezes I find that I get less traction with those than I do with my pacs. I've got a set of Kahtoola micro-spikes - but haven't spent enough time in the to really review them.

I have many, many miles on Schnee's hunter II pac boots. I wear them out, rebuild them and wear them out again, buy a new set and repeat. I have never had sore feet from them. I wear them hunting and trapping several months per year. Regular boots will dig a corner into a side hill better however.

I love my Schnee's Hunter II pack boots also! They are terrific and the airbob soles provide plenty of traction. Now to increase the traction and provide amazing control and save you many spills, slips, and wasted effort I highly recommend these. Even with just a couple inches of snow, these things are amazing. Both of these products work very well and are very well made. My feet are much more comfortable and I don't get blisters in pack boots where with leather hunting boots, I sometimes do.

Kahtoola Micro - spikes
http://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/

Hillsouns Trail Crampon
http://hillsound.com/hillsound-product/trail-crampon-ultra/

Absolutely love my White's pacs, White's smokejumpers, and Schnee's Hunter II boots. Had them for many years and many miles.

Seeing a lot of great reviews on the Schnee's hunter II and they are made here in the USA. Looking at the Grizzlies they are imported from Thailand. That narrows down the decision pretty quick. For those of you running them, what size height are you running? I've always had 16" Pacs and I found I needed that height more than once in creek and swamp crossings.

Mine were made in US. The extra liner set was made in Thailand.
I was looking at Schnees when the Grizzlies came on sale.
On a side note I wear them still most of the time in winter.
Night & day grip over my other boots on ice. They worked excellent hunting in Sierra deep snow & ice ,also in northern NM heavy stuff.
Have arch crampons for real bad ice for boots. Broke thru a tank with gaitors on & stayed dry ....below the gaitors......

Broke thru a tank with gaitors on & stayed dry ....below the gaitors......

That's some funny chit right there...Mine wasn't a tank, but I fell thru in a deep ditch a mile from the truck, in 15 degree temps. I was in chest waders that filled up to the very top. That was a day that I will never forget. Not all lessons are fun ones to learn.

6" of ice on the edge of the tank. I was breaking ice so the critters could drink & the whole shabang slid in...lol. A hot shower & a few days later the boys dropped back in......and I got wader stories....man that was cold......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back