Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

GPS question

jerm8352

My dad and I are looking at each getting a new GPS for elk hunting here in Wyoming. We want ones that let you see where other people in your party with a gps are just in case we get separated or something. I believe the Garmin Rino gps does this but am not sure. I think that's what they are talking. Any one have any experience with them? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jeremy

iPhones have "find a friend" apps. Very helpful to me to know where my kid (or at the very least their phone) is whenever I want to check. I would guess but don't know that this is cell tower dependent, unlike the app for On-X maps which is/can be GPS (satellite) driven.

Waze is another traffic related app, and allows you to see where other Waze users are, if they are in the general vicinity. Again, not sure if this is cell tower or GPS driven.

Rino works well, but understand the limitations. There will be a lot of times when it's not going to work. GPS will always work, but as for reporting where the rest of the party is, you are limited by distance and terrain. I've had times where it won't even pull a location 1/2" mile away if there is good terrain between you. I've also had times where I've polled other hunters ~17 miles away when it was line of site from mountain top to the next range across a valley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back