Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Colorado Backdoor

1jaycoolman

F.Y.I.
I checked the colorado "backdoor method" and found a non-res 591 code for deer, no elk code yet.
They may not of processed elk or I didin't draw.

I plan to hunt deer in Unit 61, third season.
If anyone has any information that they could share it is appreciated.

Thanks, Jay.

Currently there are a couple of threads on this topic.

There are several people reporting that their Colorado elk preference points are no longer showing up. To my knowledge this would indicate that the drawing is in progress.

There are several people reporting that their Colorado elk preference points are no longer showing up. To my knowledge this would indicate that the drawing is in progress.

That's what it means - it's one thing that the CPW puts right there in plain english on the website :)

I really wish CO would proof up their functionality and end this backdoor mischief...lots of drama and potential disappointment built for nothing. I have some tinfoil-hat-leaning friends that are convinced the lengthy 'draw' process is when the department cuts deals with landowners and wealthy folks :)

I love WY in this regard: "We will release draw results at xx:xx on mm/dd/yyyy" - and they hit those targets within a minute.

/rant

Haven't drawn anything in WY yet but can definitely appreciate that system. I'm still use to deer hunting MS. You go buy your license and go hunt. :)

I really wish CO would release their draws before the WY deadline for deer and lope. Seriously it is one day after the deadline.

I really wish CO would release their draws before the WY deadline for deer and lope. Seriously it is one day after the deadline.

That, I'm sure, is absolutely by design. Similarly with NM/AZ/CO deadlines and draw dates for Elk. I don't begrudge the states a little bit of capitalism. But this month-long draw nonsense from CO has been getting old.

As an example - I've already gotten my moose refund - but per the 'official results', I have no results. I am VERY happy to get my money back quickly, but come on, that's just a bad process (and, most likely, sub-par technology). Bad processes just drive me insane :)

Is the deer draw officially done and they've moved on? Three of us applied but only 2 are showing the 591 code, the other is still at 491. Just wondering if there's still a chance they haven't drawn all the deer tags yet.

Does anyone remember when they usually mail refund checks? We are moving soon and I'm wondering if I need to change my address in their system.

Seems like they mail them as soon as the drawing happens... not when it gets posted. For instance I already have my wife's deer refund and my moose refund. I would guess elk will be there by June 1st.

Right now the DOW is losing money. Expect the tag fees to be going up for residents and non-residents.

Then you'll have something real to whine about.

btw The backdoor is not something the DOW expects or wants hunters using. They give an official way and date to see results.

Right now the DOW is losing money. Expect the tag fees to be going up for residents and non-residents.

btw The backdoor is not something the DOW expects or wants hunters using. They give an official way and date to see results.

I thought they tried to raise tag fees for residents and failed? Is there something else in the works?

I'm pretty sure it's still in the works but couldn't get it done this year. I don't think it will double like what was first being talked about.

That Bill for Resident license increases and other fee increases was voted down 3 weeks ago (NR increases happen via CPI adjustment every year): http://cpw.state.co.us/sustainability-bill

I find it extremely ironic that 'we' residents (via our elected officials) refused to pay more for our licenses, but in the next breath are fighting against tag allocations ("We want more tags, but we won't pay any more")

But - your point is valid in that I would not expect CO to fund any changes to the draw process any time soon.

It's there - they know about it - and it remains there. The 'official' date is no longer official when people have tangible 'results' (refund checks) before the 'official' date. Just look at the most recent comments on this and other forums: "Not sure which tag I have", "Is the draw done yet?", etc. Guaranteed that this enablement of confusion on CPW's side is causing real cost in terms of extra phone calls and emails to their staff.

I'm still going hunting so no whining - but it's inefficient, and makes them look even more disorganized than people already think they are :)

I'm guessing what we call the back door has some other more useful use to the DOW. There was a time when only a few of us residents knew about it. Now, because of the interenet everybody knows.

I agree the official notice for results is slow, but who can complain about getting a refund check early?

Not complaining at all about the refund timing. It's just an inefficient process that causes confusion and (unfounded, IMO, but real) distrust.

The fact that the refund is a paper check per species, no matter how you paid and no matter how many species you applied for, is a head-scratcher (more cost, no benefit - outside of the fact that I get to keep the bonus points I accrue on the CC). But it's costing them real dollars by being inefficient - and by their admission, they are about to be broke.

Disclaimer: As an Industrial Engineer and an Operations strategy consulting practice owner - I skew towards 'overly fanatical' about efficient process and technology - so this is definitely hitting a personal funny bone for me :)

I DO Hope that some HT'ers drew some primo tags so we can get some more excellent reports going this fall.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back