Dumb question

cking13

I'm new to the whole western hunting game so don't crucify me too bad. What exactly is point creep? Is it where a unit will require more points to draw each year or where they simply don't have enough tags for the applicants and that means that some guys may need to acquire 10 points for a 7 point unit? Just trying to figure out exactly what it means.

Some states only give tags to the max point holders. Imagine if 100 people with 10 points apply for 5 tags , and the max points you could have was 10 (point system has only been in place 10 years). You apply with 9 points. You don't draw. Next year you have 10 points, but now there are still 95 people applying who are up to 11 points. You're going to have to wait until all those with 1 point more than you either draw the tag or die.

Other states, like MT, give bonus points that allow you a higher probability of drawing, but everyone, even those with zero, still have a chance

Yeah, point creep is what happens when demand for certain tags exceeds the supply. Each year it ends up taking more points to acquire the tag. A real simple example: In the first year of a preference point system let's say 20 people apply for 5 tags, so 25% of applicants draw with zero points. In year 2, nobody with 0 points will draw because 5 of the 15 unsuccessful guys from last year (assuming they all apply again) will draw with 1 point. In year 3, there will be 10 guys with 2 points, and still only 5 tags. In year 4, the remaining 5 guys with maximum points (3 points in this case) draw the five tags. So in four draw cycles, the odds went from 25% to a situation where you need 3 points to draw the tag. That's point creep.

Last edited:
Colorado Unit 61 elk is the perfect example as well. When I started applying it took 4-5 points to draw a NR archery elk tag in unit 61. I now have 17 points and I am still 3 years away from having a enough points to guarantee a tag. Every year that I gain a point the number of points to guarantee a tag goes up by about .9. Eventually I will draw he tag but will not be able to walk without oxygen by then. Hope that helps.

I'm new to the whole western hunting game so don't crucify me too bad. What exactly is point creep? Is it where a unit will require more points to draw each year or where they simply don't have enough tags for the applicants and that means that some guys may need to acquire 10 points for a 7 point unit? Just trying to figure out exactly what it means.

Well I just learned something. Thanks for the question.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back