WI Elk Herd

Wisco

Was up in Black River Falls State Forest turkey hunting this past weekend... saw both a cow and a bull while out and about. To most of you, that's normal. For me, seeing elk in the wild (while hunting), it's a first. So I just wanted to say thanks to RMEF and any other volunteers for all their work in the reintroduction efforts here.

I hope to continue to see these efforts grow and to some day have situations like this be normal. Anyone who knows how to get involved, other than sending emails to RMEF and the DNR (which I've done), please let me know.

I saw about 8 or 9 elk in the Clam Lake herd back in 2012. Outside of Hayward. Seeing those animals up close is what set me down the road of learning about elk and eventually getting out to hunt them. That's so lucky you got to see them!

Funny thing is, the only reason i saw the elk is because my dog woke up in the tent and barfed all over our gear, so we got up early and cleaned and packed our stuff to leave...so that dog barf ended up altering my future hobbies and interests!

Was up in Black River Falls State Forest turkey hunting this past weekend... saw both a cow and a bull while out and about. To most of you, that's normal. For me, seeing elk in the wild (while hunting), it's a first. So I just wanted to say thanks to RMEF and any other volunteers for all their work in the reintroduction efforts here.

I hope to continue to see these efforts grow and to some day have situations like this be normal. Anyone who knows how to get involved, other than sending emails to RMEF and the DNR (which I've done), please let me know.

I'm not far from BRF and that's great to hear....hopefully they open the wolf season back up so we can give the elk a little breathing room from the wolves.

Too funny Pablo, I've got my long commute to work to thank for forcing me into Randy's podcast and this new affliction for elk. Funny how shitty situations can lead to some amazing outcomes.

And I hear ya fwagner, with such weak numbers, it's going to be hard to get calves to flourish without checking that wolf population...

Well sure, in the 2 years we've had elk there, they've done fairly well against wolves. However, they've struggled definitely struggled historically with wolves in the Clam Lake herd. Not saying wolves can't be there, but a management plan would be nice...

Either way, I can't wait to watch these herds grow!

Very cool!! I grew up in SW Wisconsin. Every deer season Dad and the guys would head out after Thanksgiving dinner for Black River Falls for the rest of the season. I couldn't wait for their return to hear the stories. If they would've ever thought there would be elk roaming around there I'm sure the tales would have been tall ones.

Finally I was old enough to go but only made it there once. That was about 34 years ago. Used to stay at a place called The Pines, heard it burned down.

Oh it's definitely a great place, too bad you couldn't have made it a few more times. I don't usually bow hunt that area, but with the chance of hearing some September bugles, how could I not consider it now!

I'm so envious of you guys. Minnesota passed legislation banning any increase of elk in the state due to crop damage concerns, even though there is no agriculture in the area they want to reintroduce them.

I can't wait to see stories of bugling bulls out there! Keep us posted!

Oh that's definitely a bummer... I guess Wisconsin's only targeting the two current herd ranges as the rest of the state isn't habitable (mainly due to cropland) which is somewhat of a bummer. But I'll certainly take what I can get at this point.

And will do! Planning on putting a camera out there later this summer. If I'm lucky enough to get some pictures, I'll be sure to post!

I'm so envious of you guys. Minnesota passed legislation banning any increase of elk in the state due to crop damage concerns, even though there is no agriculture in the area they want to reintroduce them.

I can't wait to see stories of bugling bulls out there! Keep us posted!

Ahh Yes....the AG lobby at work again.

It's great to see the elk are there, but I am really embarrassed with the elk program as a whole. Really?? The worthless DNR starts this thing 28 years ago, in the same time period that other states did and we have yet to have a single tag, and are now getting elk from other states that actually did it with some real balls behind the project. Arkansas did it in 1985 and has had a season for decades. Kentucky, 1997 and now has over 2000 head. Again, it's great they are here, but what a half assed attempt at doing something.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back