Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming Medicine Bow NF sheds

boonerville

I will be in Cheyenne, WY later this week and early next week for work. I am hoping to take a day or two to try to find elk or mule deer sheds. has anyone ever shed hunted the Medicine Bow? I live in Iowa, and although I have found 100s of whitetail sheds, truthfully I have never picked up an elk or mule deer shed. I would love to find even one. Any ideas on where to start looking? what types of terrain? I'm not opposed to hiking a long way off the beaten path. And if anything, hopefully I will see some cool country.

I have never been on the Medicine Bow. If it is like most places out west I would start on the steepest, rocky and nasty looking south facing slope you can find.

You'll be a little late for this year.Lots have been out already picking up sheds.
Look for the sage covered hills where wind kept the snow clear. Lots of the deer head down to the sage areas for winter. I would bet that some of the bigger bucks stick to the steeps like antlerradar says.
Some are found up in the forest. Walk in on the closed roads in the Vedauwoo area and Pole Mtn. area. The Curt Gowdy State Park trails may be a good area.
We did just get a bunch of snow so some will still be laying around, snow that is.

You'll be a little late for this year.Lots have been out already picking up sheds.
Look for the sage covered hills where wind kept the snow clear. Lots of the deer head down to the sage areas for winter. I would bet that some of the bigger bucks stick to the steeps like antlerradar says.
Some are found up in the forest. Walk in on the closed roads in the Vedauwoo area and Pole Mtn. area. The Curt Gowdy State Park trails may be a good area.
We did just get a bunch of snow so some will still be laying around, snow that is.

Thank you sir!

A lot of the snow we just got has melted, with memorial weekend coming up I'm sure Curt Gowdy is going to be a mad house. If there isn't a ton of snow on the summit, I'd focus more on the far north west side, the roads off of the old US 30 should still have a few laying around. Never hunted it but the only place I've ever seen elk around there is on the west side of 80 off those forest roads. I'm sure one of the Laramie guys on here could be more specific, but since you're going to be there, stop in at the Bunkhouse! It's pretty much the text book definition of a Wyo bar and grill. Also, if you're into pizza, I'd highly suggest heading to Grand Ave. Pizza in Laramie after you hike around for sheds. Thirsty Thursdays are half price brews and awesome pies!

A lot of the snow we just got has melted, with memorial weekend coming up I'm sure Curt Gowdy is going to be a mad house. If there isn't a ton of snow on the summit, I'd focus more on the far north west side, the roads off of the old US 30 should still have a few laying around. Never hunted it but the only place I've ever seen elk around there is on the west side of 80 off those forest roads. I'm sure one of the Laramie guys on here could be more specific, but since you're going to be there, stop in at the Bunkhouse! It's pretty much the text book definition of a Wyo bar and grill. Also, if you're into pizza, I'd highly suggest heading to Grand Ave. Pizza in Laramie after you hike around for sheds. Thirsty Thursdays are half price brews and awesome pies!

I will definitely check that out...and the bunkhouse! I have been marking a few areas on google earth to start looking. So there are more mule deer than elk around? Iv never been in the medicine bow, only driven through on my way to antelope hunt, and I went up to the Snowy range peak and had dinner in centennial last year. I saw hundreds of elk up around centennial, but I'm not going that far this trip.

Ditto on The Bunkhouse. Last time we ate there it was very good. The Library has good beer in Laramie.
Forgot about it being the holiday weekend, Curt Gowdy will be a madhouse and Vedauwoo will be busy as well but with some roads still closed most people will be near the roads.
Good luck and have fun.
JL gave some good areas too. Hit the state sections adjacent to the NF also.

Ditto on The Bunkhouse. Last time we ate there it was very good. The Library has good beer in Laramie.
Forgot about it being the holiday weekend, Curt Gowdy will be a madhouse and Vedauwoo will be busy as well but with some roads still closed most people will be near the roads.
Good luck and have fun.
JL gave some good areas too. Hit the state sections adjacent to the NF also.

I saw there is some BLM nearby that looks interesting also.

Back