antelope

We had an incredibly wet spring in 2016 and great snowpack so I'll agree with Greenhorn on that B&C prediction.
I sure would like to see more mass on all of these bucks.

Greenhorn, the first buck doesnt look that impressive. He doesn't look to be very tall and looks skinny up top. Am I underestimating the lower mass and prongs?

I'm not good at judging antelope is why I ask. Not questioning the fact that you think he's big. Just trying to figure out what I'm missing.

Ears are approximately 6 inches long, bucks with prongs about ears high and same length above and below would make him a 12 incher, not a trophy. Look for mass at the base that is wider than the eye.
A big buck will look almost top heavy, almost like one of those big, horned beetles, meaning the horns will look out of proportion for the head, that would be a big buck.
That buck has decent length above the prong but not much mass and not much below the prong, pretty decent prongs but not long. I doubt 76 inches of horn but I don't score on the hoof very well.

I started this tread so we could all post antelope pics for those coming out for their first hunt. Thanks Greenhorn for posting some.

Here's a couple of my best bucks. One on the bottom officially scored 82 2/8. The top one is a NM buck and scores roughly 79 or so. The NM buck has shorter horns even though he looks longer. The ears on that NM buck are 5 inches long, they were a more petite animal compared to our Wyoming antelope, maybe bergmann's rule there. Mass made the difference on my "book" buck.

DSCN0829.jpgDSCN0833.jpgDSCN0836.jpg

Wytex, nice bucks! Regarding the buck i put 3 pics of above, I think he's much closer to 14". Here's one I liked that was short. What do you think? I bet lots of people would have kept driving. He's from Wyoming, few years back.

short1.JPG

short2.JPG

short3.JPG

Wytex, nice bucks! Regarding the buck i put 3 pics of above, I think he's much closer to 14". Here's one I liked that was short. What do you think? I bet lots of people would have kept driving. He's from Wyoming, few years back.

I'm addicted to this thread. I'll admit, Greenhorn, I'm afraid I would've driven off from this short one but I see in that bottom picture why that's not necessarily the right decision. A lot of mass on that guy. Short but a total fatty. Head on he looks like a dink. So deceptive

That kind of mass would have made me stop and pull out the spotting scope. Not very tall , but wow he's heavy. Bucks like that are hard to judge but I would have looked at body size and if he was a big mature buck then the stalk is on.
Haven't come across a nice non-typical this year yet.
We'll be up through Shirley Basin this weekend so hopefully some good bucks are posing for us.
By the way the last Northern Rockies Machinegun and Cannon Shoot this weekend.

I'll put this out now that the app date has passed, my on the hoof pics are from area 38. Difficult access , maybe some leftover tags.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back