Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wyoming unit 22 Antelope

Millsworks

Looking to hunt 22 in the future. Can anyone say if access to private can be had there with a trespass fee?
Would like to scout this fall on the BLM and talk to land owners about access.
Anyone hunt there for Antelope or deer?

Thanks.

Try the search function. There was just a thread on this unit not too long ago if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. Searched it and the thread lacks any hard info on a good access point. But any and all info is great. You can never get to much information in my opinion.
Looks like outfitter leases hold alot of the private.
So far it is appearing that BLM is a crap shoot. Might just have to put boots on the ground and look for myself to see.
Lots of roads there but touph to figure what roads are public.
Tricky for sure. Not wanting a ticket or even a upset land owner. Hopefully can get a pm with road that takes me to public ground.
See alot about guys truck camping, but thought it wasn't allowed on BLM.

Thanks , I have great paper maps, but the tech of today is very helpful when I can figure out how to use it that is.
I love Google Earth, but the road names can't always be seen or known as private or public. I'll check the BLM status maps and make a couple calls to confirm what I find.
Thanks for the link.

Thanks for the suggestion. Searched it and the thread lacks any hard info on a good access point. But any and all info is great. You can never get to much information in my opinion.
Looks like outfitter leases hold alot of the private.
So far it is appearing that BLM is a crap shoot. Might just have to put boots on the ground and look for myself to see.
Lots of roads there but touph to figure what roads are public.
Tricky for sure. Not wanting a ticket or even a upset land owner. Hopefully can get a pm with road that takes me to public ground.
See alot about guys truck camping, but thought it wasn't allowed on BLM.

You certainly can camp on BLM ground. Not State land.

How far in the future? Unless some miracle happens, and I draw unit 57 with 2 points our second choice is unit 22 I can give some help after this fall hopefully.

I hunter that in 14 with doe tags. You're smart to ask about trespass fees as we had a super tough time with access but the bulk of our trip was spent getting our boys bucks in 26 so I wasn't prepared. We were there at end of season and saw absolutely nothing but no trespassing signs & mulies and pronghorn behind them.

As I say, we didn't try very hard there. I'd do it again in a heartbeat but go for opener and have my butt on target at first light.

Think I will give it a look end of September on my way through to the Beartooths for an elk hunt. If it looks promising I might get a tag then and try to punch one early.
That is, if there are any tags left.
If not I'll just scout it up for next trip. Most info I've gotten says the Antelope make a mass Exodus to private land after 4-5 days into the season.
Not many huge antelope bucks, or much public land,or access, but easy to get tags .
Have never taken an antelope so willing to accept any buck and maybe a doe.
Shoot me a pm 7mm-08 if you'd like to meet up in 22 this fall.
All are welcome at my camp. Though I doubt I make much of a camp, sense I will hopefully move onto my elk spot asap.

You're making it way harder than it is.
A road listed as a "county road" on the Johnson County GIS web map, is open to the public for the length shown on said map. That map was verified as accurate and current when I was in the Johnson County courthouse last year.

Thanks for the post Bob. The roads in question are dirt or gravel and look to be there for the gas or mining outfits in the area. See some ranch land around also.
Not only do I not want to plan on using a road that turns out I can't, but also don't want to walk 2-3 miles just to see a spot that's drive able by anyone.
Never been there so cautious to take anything for granted.

I'm not familiar with that unit, but I know some of the roads on the BLM land in that immediate region are posted that they are not for public use even though they do not cross private land. I talked to the BLM biologist and he said that it is to give the antelope a break from the constant road hunting pressure. I did not drive on these posted roads but plenty of hunters ignored the signs. So, be aware in your scouting that just because a road is suppose to be closed doesn't mean you won't hike down it and have people driving past you.

I'm not familiar with that unit, but I know some of the roads on the BLM land in that immediate region are posted that they are not for public use even though they do not cross private land. I talked to the BLM biologist and he said that it is to give the antelope a break from the constant road hunting pressure. I did not drive on these posted roads but plenty of hunters ignored the signs. So, be aware in your scouting that just because a road is suppose to be closed doesn't mean you won't hike down it and have people driving past you.

That's sure the facts of Life there. We don't all play by the same rules sometimes.
Thanks for the input, and I will do my best to find out from BLM about foad closers.

Wish everyone luck this year and I'll sure continue to post any help I can for all in the future!

Seems like a fair amount of interest in this unit 22 antelope hunt.
Looks as if a guy who really wants a tag , might better put in the draw this year. Might not be any left after the leftover draw ends.

Just my opinion but I sure plan on going into the pool instead of waiting and hoping there will be some left.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back