New Mexico archery bull tag unit 17.

As stated, water is the key. If you get deep in the wilderness, you won't see a soul, even at a water hole. I was gonna do a hike up Apache Kid one of these weekends. If I do, I'll do some scouting in the wilderness for you.

Hank4elk, thank you for the wealth of knowledge you posted. Cant wait for September, sounds like if its a dry August then I need to find water sources. If its a late and wet monsoons then water wont be as critcial.

AngieOutlaw, that would be awesome I plan to make my first trip over there to scout mid June timeframe-ish. The first trip I mainly just want to get me bearings down, feel for lay of land, and figure out some logistics for during the hunt. Then on the trips after that getting out and hiking to find water and such. I would love to hear about your trip in there if you go.

17 is a great unit. You have a lot of USFS land as well as BLM land to work with.

I personally have seen quite a bit around Magdelena Mountains. Hank4elk is on point though about the water. Go on google earth, use historical satellite photography to see where the water is on the month that your hunt is and elk will be around. I personally like transitional areas where it goes from thick cover to open plains where they feed. Luckily, you won't have a problem with access as there are tons of roads and trails out there.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back