Yeti GOBOX Collection

7RM in Montana

Interesting to note that Hornady does not currently make a 210gr slug... They do a 208 and a 212... The 212 is an ELD-x, but the 208 is the ELD or AMAX (target/match bullets). If it was a 208, that explains a lot, but even with the ELD-x, it's not a bonded bullet, basically just a long range interlock...

I'd be wary of RL-22 if you are developing loads in South Texas heat and hunting in cold RMF Montana. Not the end of the world if shots are reasonable, but something to calibrate for.

4831sc, 7828ssc, and h1000 have all done well for me.

Yep, I watched Reloader fail on a buddy a few years ago. 200 yard chip shot on a nice muley buck in -15d weather and he missed cleanly twice in a row. The powder just completely failed in cold weather.

Yep, I watched Reloader fail on a buddy a few years ago. 200 yard chip shot on a nice muley buck in -15d weather and he missed cleanly twice in a row. The powder just completely failed in cold weather.

How do you know it was the powder? At 200 yards, I doubt it. mtmuley

It's never the shooter. If RL-22 works for the OP, I'd load it and kill stuff. mtmuley

How do you know it was the powder? At 200 yards, I doubt it. mtmuley

He took a few practice shots later that day and couldn't even hit paper. Then he shot it a week or two later when the cold snap was over and he was perfectly dialed again at 200. Can't think of any other variables that would make sense.

I think you could work up one load using a160 grain bullet in Nosler Partition or Accubond and use it on everything from antelope to bull elk and never look back with your 7RM.
Once you sight in your rifle it can stay there forever.

Last edited:
Interesting... In all reality, if he's not running a good magnum primer, that's probably at fault. About 1/2 of the reloading guides (including alliant powders) list CCI 200's or Winchester WLR primers for the .300WSM The velocity drop that would be required to bring a rifle off paper at 200 is so dramatic that simply powder alone makes 0 sense to me... I had a rifle barrel bulge creating a 300fps drop. With a 300FPS decrease on that rifle change in impact at 200yds was about 4". Hodgdon's testing on RL 22 in a .300WM showed 75FPS lost for 125 degrees of change. If he's not using Magnum primers, that's more likely your issue. Slow burning powders (especially slow burning long grain extruded powders like RL22) in cold temps NEED the extra burn of a magnum primer for proper ignition........

The claim that a powder was at fault maDE zero sense to me also. My good friend I have hunted with and done a pile of shooting with, has used RL-22 in a 7mm for almost 20 years. In all types of temps and with shots at yardage most would condemn, he has never had a problem with sensitivity. It's just not an issue for the vast majority of hunters. mtmuley

Why not just go with a 160 accubond or partition. At anything under about 600 your not going to see and direct benefit from the LR bullet. Ive taken a doz elk with the the 160 gr partition in my 7mm and never blood tracked a single one.

Has anyone had experience using the ABLR's on a close shot. Since they are good down to 1300fps I was curious if they explode up close. I think the regular AB's are rated down to 1800fps for reliable expansion.

Has anyone had experience using the ABLR's on a close shot. Since they are good down to 1300fps I was curious if they explode up close. I think the regular AB's are rated down to 1800fps for reliable expansion.

Regular AB's work well below 1800 fps, on elk...seen it.

Last edited:

Shot a bull a couple years ago with a 210 ABLR at aboUT 60 yards or so. 3150 fps mv. He's dead. I have way more faith in the regular Accubonds. mtmuley

I load the 7RM with 160 grain accubonds and IMR 4831. Velocity is 2972 fps and accuracy/on game performance is great. I have not tried the LR version as I see no practical benefit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back