Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

7RM in Montana

JV842

Decided to take my father's 7RM out West for a spin this year. He built it back when I was a kid. It's on a 98mauser action, sweet shooter, and even sweeter looking. She's never been any where other than here in South Texas. My ? is I want to work up a load for it. Looking at the Nosler accubond lr in either 168 or 175. Any suggestions on powders and bullet performance/weight would be much appreciated. Thnx to all. I will be hunting elk, deer, maybe bear West of Augusta.

Also been reading some reviews on that accubond lr, kind of getting me worried about terminal performance. Anyone out there w experience on the bullett? Have had great luck w partitions out of my 300WM, just wanted to try the higher BC and bullett weight out of the 7RM. Just internet chatter or actual facts?

I have no concerns with the AB's critter end performance.

Post a pic of that 98 please.

IMG_1654.jpgIMG_1653.jpg
Rifle at my parents house n they sent me the pics, doesn't do the wood n metal work justice. Has a Timney trigger, beautiful walnut stock w/ rosewood forearm tip n pistol grip. He did all the metal work n wood work. Love the gun; history, beauty, n function all in the same package!!!!

Yes sir. Thought about putting a new scope n putting in some sling swivels w a better sling but just hate to mess w it.

Plain vanilla 160 accubonds...and the powders listed would work. I use IMR4831 in my 7RM and it shoots very well.

I haven't shot the new LR accubonds...so no comment other than they seem to be a bit gimmicky to me, just for a slightly higher BC. Cant comment on how the LR's work on game either, but the 160 has worked well on game for me.

This is what I'm worried or questioning about, this past year in Montana used my buddies 300WM loaded w the Hornady equivalent to the LR; accurate as all get out, practiced out to 600 n hit 7" steel every shot, but hit my muley; dropped in his tracks at 492 but the bullet blew up (210gn) then next day his son shot one; same gun n bullet, at less than 100, same thing, hardly any penetration n destroyed bullet (n meat) Yes animals dropped but what would have happened on an elk's shoulder or severely quartering elk? Different company n bullet yes but somewhat similar design.

If you're not shooting 600-800 yards+ why are you looking at LR bullets? Theres a ton of good bullets that will work fine in that caliber. Pick a couple anc work up some loads.

I used a 7RM for a few of my earlier years. Critters seemed to drop right nicely with a boat load of H4831 and 162gr Nosler Solid Bases. Now that they are not available any longer, a 160AB would be my top choice as an all around set-up, but the 150 BT never failed me.

Any of those accubonds are going to do the job. As far as the Hornadys "blowing up". The new ELD-x is built more like an Accubond so I doubt that was the bullet used. The SST in Hornady is more like a Berger and I can see it doing that. It's just the way they are designed to kill. Some like it some don't....to each there own.

I would just suggest trying some 160 gr. Accubonds. My son and I have shot several animals with 180 gr. Accubonds in his 300 WSM and 165 gr. Accubonds in my 30-06. They are a great bullet and those is what I would try first in your 7mm RM. If they don't shoot try some 160 gr. Partitions. Either of those are fabulous bullets. If I can get this darn photobucket to work I'll post some pictures of Accubonds recovered from game and tested in gallon water jugs from 25-100-200-300-400-500 yards! 90 gr. Accubonds out of a 6mm Remington at 3250 fps penetrated 5 gallon jugs at 25 yards and held together nicely!

My dad used H4831SC in his 7mm with 160 gr. Partitions. I would think that would be a good one to try. My 280 AI likes the IMR7828SC. That might be worth a look also. Best of luck.

175 is probably overkill for anything in Montana, by the way. I'll be shooting 160s for elk. I worked up this 175 load for my Alaska moose hunt this September.

Like several others have mentioned, the Standard 160gr Accubond would be an Amazing Choice. Our family has taken everything from Antelope-Canada Moose with Accubonds in other calibers. They work, they hold together well, and they flat kill stuff. I wouldn't go to the LRAB unless you are intentionally looking for a bullet for work beyond 600yds...

This is what I'm worried or questioning about, this past year in Montana used my buddies 300WM loaded w the Hornady equivalent to the LR; accurate as all get out, practiced out to 600 n hit 7" steel every shot, but hit my muley; dropped in his tracks at 492 but the bullet blew up (210gn) then next day his son shot one; same gun n bullet, at less than 100, same thing, hardly any penetration n destroyed bullet (n meat) Yes animals dropped but what would have happened on an elk's shoulder or severely quartering elk? Different company n bullet yes but somewhat similar design.
IF it was the Interbond, yes it was similar. The ELD, AMax, and SST are not bonded, which can make a whole lot of difference...

I'd be wary of RL-22 if you are developing loads in South Texas heat and hunting in cold RMF Montana. Not the end of the world if shots are reasonable, but something to calibrate for.

4831sc, 7828ssc, and h1000 have all done well for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back