Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

26 nosler vs 6.5-300 weatherby

Cogreeny

I know they are similar in ballistics what do you guys think about these two cartridges head to head? I will be using one or the other for elk just want your thoughts. Thank you

I do like the sexy Rubenesque Venturi shoulder on the Wby, but then again Nosler's proprietary convenience.....

..but what do I know, I own a Mashburn.:)

For an elk rifle I'd go 28 at least. 30 even better. Never liked any Weatherby cartridges. mtmuley

I currently hunt with my old standby '06 and I know guys are gonna say stick with that but I just wanna do something different and get a new rifle I am very confident in the 6.5 with scirrocos or a-frames looking at the energy either cartridge is toting even aways out there. Was just trying to get a feel for what everyone is seeing with both cartridges. Thanks

I'm a big fan of weatherby rifles myself, I would have the 6.5 in a heartbeat if I didn't have 2 little kids, my rifle budget is gone now haha. I currently shoot a 257 weatherby and have shot elk and deer no problem with it. But as I said I'm partial to weatherby

I'm building a load for my 6.5-300 right now. Might have one built. Have to shoot it a few more times to be certain. I chose 142 grain long range accubonds. Hopefully they be going 3300-3400fps.

I've got a 257 and a 270 WBY. The 6.5 would be ballistically better than both and a lot of fun to shoot.

The 270 Roy has been coaxing my weakness for a spell. Speed and a 140 grain pill translates to ample terminal energy. Simple math....and powder.

The 270 Roy has been coaxing my weakness for a spell. Speed and a 140 grain pill translates to ample terminal energy. Simple math....and powder.

Yeah. 140 gr Accubonds with 70 grains of powder will get you 3200-3300 fps. My less scientific experience is that it sounds like a thunderclap when it hits critters.
F the hipsters and their little powder savin 6.5's :hump:

I think you should decide what rifle you like best and let the rifle pick the cartridge. That being said, Browning is offering it's Hell's Canyon Xbolt in 26 Nosler for almost $500 less than the cheapest Weatherby I could find chambered in 6.5-300 so there's food for thought.

I'a Weatherby guy from way back. I have a .270WM and a .340WM. I've used both for deer, moose and antelope. The .270 has gone with me on six sheep hunts and the .340 for moose, bear, deer and antelope. They are both as versatile as I need. I load the .340 with 86 gr of RL 22 behind a 250 gr Nosler partition. This gets me 3050 fps. The .270 gets 78 gr of RL 25 behind a 140 gr Winchester Failsafe and 3300+ fps. If I didn't have them I just might try a 6.5 WM. I love the idea of the venturi- forebore. The loads are safe in my rifles with no pressure signs. Work up from below if you try them. GJ

Thanks everyone for the responses I think it's all solid advice. I do like the mark v from weatherby so I may go that route the mark v arroyo really catches my eye.

When you have good load data would you be willing to post it MTlionchader?

The load that is working for me is 77grains of H1000,Fed 215 primer, 142 grain Accubond. Chronographed today at 3265. Seated at 3.555. Buddy has exact gun and he is shooting 83.5 grains of BMG 50, Fed 215 primer,142 grain Accubond. Never Chronographed his yet.

Thanks for the info lionchaser much appreciated the accubond would be a top choice for me as well. I do want to try scirrocos also

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back