MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Pitching Tent w/o Footprint?

LandDiver

I have a 1P tent, and the footprint for it is out of stock till July. I bought this tent used last year and haven't used it yet. Very soon I will be able to spend a couple nights here and there out in the great Idaho Public Lands in search for a bear I want to try and harvest with my bow.

Curious to see if any of you have ventured out without a footprint for your tent, and how did it go.

Thank you.

I have not, but I understand a sheet of Tyvek will work as good if not better than a footprint. It's likely going to be lighter and more compact too.

I never use a footprint, whether it was Wyo, Ut, Ak or NWT and I have never had a problem.

Summer time isn't as big deal if there's no weather. I like to use it more for protecting the tent than anything.

I use a footprint to keep the wear off the tent bottom. Other than that I don't feel they add much if anything. The tent bottom is waterproof and my pad keeps the condensation away.

I never use a footprint, whether it was Wyo, Ut, Ak or NWT and I have never had a problem.
+1, if my tent floor can't take it, I need a different tent. Exception being kid/family tents.

Thank you. Eases my hesitation about it, and now I am more then excited to get back out and spend as many nights as I can in the mountains. Got this one place that I want to explore past where I've been. Last year I just wasn't in the mental and physical shape to push past what I thought was to far. Knowing that I have my tent and can pitch it when needed will help me.

On a side note, I hope to see Bigfoot (from a far) one day lol!

I always use a sheet of heavy duty clear plastic on the INSIDE of my tents. I feel if you use a ground cloth on the outside of the tent, while it might keep the tent clean, it also will allow water to get between the tent floor and ground cloth, and possibly soak through. When I have the plastic on the tent floor, most of the dirt brought in can be shaken out of the plastic, so the tent floor is clean, and I'm guaranteed no matter how wet it is outside, I have a waterproof barrier inside, as the plastic is cut so it comes up on the sidewalls of the tent. In 40+ years of camping, I've as yet never had a wet interior, and the plastic is pretty light weight.

I have some heavy duty 6mm plastic sheeting. I could cut that to what I need. Was thinking it could also be used as a tarp to protect the meat from the ground if needed?

Painters plastic comes in different thickness that you can pick up at Home Depot for super cheap. Thicker plastic may be a little tougher and more waterproof than Tyvek?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back