Yeti GOBOX Collection

How important is a spotting scope?

Digital10

I do have a spotting scope...I'm not sure if it is the glass or the tripod or what, but I just don't use it all that much at all. I think I want to use it, but in the end I don't.
How important is a spotter? How much do you use yours? When and why?

Totally depends on your hunting style, terrain, etc.

When I'm hunting thicker terrain, no way am I packing a spotter. Even when glassing open terrain, more often than not I'm using a pair of 10x binos on a small tripod. I'm usually not counting inches on animals. I just need to see if it's a mature animal with a good framed rack and I'm going after it. Binos will reveal that much out to a pretty good distance, and are easier to look through than a spotter because you can use both eyes at once.

If I ever draw a once in a lifetime sheep or muley tag I'll probably bring a spotter along to really pick apart trophy potential. Also they are handy for scouting, digiscoping, etc... again, totally depends on whether the terrain allows for glassing wide open spaces or not.

I carry a pair of Leoupold 10x50 binos all the time and they are great. Sometimes you will see an animal and can see the horns or antlers but cant quite see how many points a deer or elk may have. On antelope you can see the horns with binos but many times can't tell how heavy or how long the prongs are. My spotter fits nicely in my daypack and slips onto the tripod in about 2 seconds.
A spotting scope will save you a lot of hiking trying to get closer to an animal only to find it's not quite whay you're looking for.

I use a spotting scope and will say they have a definite advantage in certain circumstances. You can only get maximum magnification with a scope. A solid tripod is a must, I will also use from the truck with a window mount for very long distance glassing.
In the past couple seasons I have switched to high quality binos on a tripod for the majority of glassing for animals. I've found binos more comfortable in the search for critters. I will switch to scope when trying to judge an animal, count points inches etc. When hunting with a buddy I've found that one guy on binos and one with scope to be best in finding and identify antler/horns. If by myself for most areas I will choose just binos for elk and deer if weight is an issue in the pack. I like having a scope for antelope and if I ever pull a "once in a lifetime" tag where I'm more concerned than usual about counting inches or more rare hunts like sheep /mt goat

It has been an evolution for me. The first year I had my spotter I didn't use it much, but I use it all the time now. I think difficulty of pulling it out of your bag and setting it up has some to do with how much it is used. If I am in a situation where I am setting up on a ridge or point where I can glass alot of county, especially in the middle of the day, then it gets used a lot. Later in the day it doesn't get used as much because I am trying to cover ground and see what is moving. I also use a pair of Leupold switch power binos 10/17x42 that are very helpful. All that being said, I am very glad that I have it. It really saved my bacon a couple of years ago when I couldn't tell how good a buck was, even at 17x, until I put the spotter on him. He wasn't very tall so he didn't show up well in binos, but when I put the spotter on him I couldn't move fast enough to get into position.
20151023_101703.jpg

I usually carry a spotting scope with me when I'm hunting - especially in western states where I might be trying to figure what I'm looking at 1 mile away. I drew a cow tag this year for Wyoming and I'm bringing my spotter along with me to make sure I'm trying to get close to a cow, and not a spike elk. I also use one when hunting antelope to be able to judge horn size better. Using, or not using one really depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

the most successful hunters I know are very proficient with a spotting scope. I'm trying to learn patience so that I can master the skill of glassing still.

Here in Central PA, shots are usually in the 50-100 yard range.

Except for me... I hunt along a gas line. Grass, 30yards wide, miles long, and fairly straight. Evening before last archery season, I was spotting, and saw a few deer walk out. With my cheap spotter, I could tell 1 was a decent buck, but not exactly how decent. Distance is 1160yards. Some how my range finder miraculously ranged on that deer. (stood broadside, and highlighted on the hill top.) I'm now looking for a better spotting scope.

I also found a place about 4 miles from the truck, top of a mountain, looking over creek valley, with 3 ridges on opposite side from me, that I can see into.

Depends...:). I use my Nikon Monarch 8x42's on a tripod more than I do my spotter. I tend to use my spotter more from my truck, using the window mount. I don't usually want the extra weight when I'm on my day trips. When I'm on on my day hunt, I know where I am going and don't need to look at anything further than what the binos can handle. But mid-day when I'm cruising back to camp, or looking for new ground I will mount up the scope on the window and cover lots of area with my eyeball.

I pick apart an area with binoculars mark what is or might be an animal then verify with my spotting scope. Find a lot of game that I would normally miss with just my binoculars. I am a not so much a trophy hunter, but early on in the hunt, be it deer or antelope, I use the spotting scope to judge the animal. Elk I just want to make sure it is a legal bull.

a spotting scope is needed if you glass long distances to find game or travel route to game , it takes a while to get used to just glassing for long time periods but as you get older you appreciate the looking vs the walking

I use 10x50 binos,sometimes on the tripod,sometimes over my spotter.
Have a lightweight set up.Manfrotto tripod & 60 power spotter.
I will not carry the spotter in thick country much,unless it's just a scouting trip to see what I can see.

The more I use mine the more it reinforces my belief that it is my greatest tool to find animals. I agree with many things people have said, such as the terrain and judging trophy quality. I like to setup my tripod and scope and the glass my binos. If I see animals then I switch to the scope. After picking apart an area the. I will dive into areas at 20x on the scope. I've easily doubled the amount of game I spot since I purchased a scope two years ago. I think it really forced me to sit down and glass the same country for 20-30 minutes or more and forced me to be patient and then I really saw that benefit.

That said... I have brought it on many long hikes and it only added weight...

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back