2017 Oregon Coast Spring Bear.....with the Ol' 30-30.

Joe Hulburt

2017 Oregon Coast Spring Bear..with the Ol' 30-30.

I decided this winter that my goal this Spring was to kill a nice Spring bear with my 30-30 and film it so I would be able to relive it when I am too old to get after them anymore. This season started off terrible with all the cold rain so I have only been out a handful of times until yesterday. It finally felt like Spring bear hunting time so I headed into one of my favorite spots to hunt. I've only ever seen 2 other Spring bears in there but it always feels like I have had a good hunt when it's over so that was my pick.

I just barely got into the swamp I chose to hunt when I spotted black among all the lush green. Right away I set up the cam which was already on and ready to roll. I was getting some really good footage of him (I thought!) while I was sizing him up from about 100 yards. He fed behind a clump of alders and I was getting nervous he would slip off like the only other bear I have seen did this Spring so I backed the camera off to have a wide angle and started slipping forward to find a clear angle. Once I got about 30 yards in front of the camera he presented a clear shot I took a 70 yard offhand shot and dropped him in his tracks! I was super pumped to have been able to get myself in the field of view and make the shot or so I thought... When I got back to the tri pod and went to pause the camera I realized it was on pause. :eek: Apparently I was more excited than I thought......blew the filming of a good bear with the 30-30 but the good thing is I already know what my 2018 Spring bear goal will be. :cool:

Turned out to be a fine boar! Not huge but really respectable. It was all I could do to drag him back a few feet out of the pool of blood for a pic. Probably around 300#'s but that is just a guess. Long night last night but luckily my son and his buddy came in and gave me a hand. Really looking forward to next Spring!

Good luck to all still hunting! I think they are gonna start dropping like flies here on the coast....

Last edited:
Joe goes hunting. Joe kills a great big black bear with a cool rifle... blah. Isn't that what you did last year? And the year before? And the year before that? :) Congrats on a super bear!

Congrats, the coat on that guy looks perfect! When you go bear hunting I almost feel sorry for the bears - they don't have much chance with you roaming the woods.

Dandy bear! This is one of those clock-work like posts I look forward to every spring. That 30-30 has gottten quite the track record. So cool.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back