Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Waiting on tag results... So here's a cat story!

mountainhawks

I've always struggled with the late January-March time period where most hunting is over with and fishing for the most part isn't really spectacular around here. A few years back I started tagging along with some friends who run dogs during this time of the year when conditions are right. These guys are incredibly nice and I can't even begin to fathom how much money they have into their set ups. Up to this year we'd covered more miles than I'd care to admit on turnouts without myself ever harvesting one. It seemed like I was cursed, every cat we'd turn out on would jump trees, fight, or just flat out go. Some of the country we run in is close to the state line so some cats are completely off limits just based on the direction they head. Some days other friends would be designated the shooter and they'd end up with a cat full from a fresh deer kill that would run 300 yards and tree, I was never so fortunate. Finally, this winter I got my opportunity on a big tom that gave us a buttkicker of a hunt but in the end was absolutely worth it. Lions are such an awesome animal and hunting them has given me so much respect for them. Hope you enjoy the photos.

PS - every bit of him has been delicious, the sweet and sour lion recipe is one of the best things I've had.

IMG_4356.jpgIMG_5945.jpgIMG_5926.jpgIMG_5730.jpgIMG_5728.jpgIMG_4826.jpgIMG_4775.jpgIMG_4771.jpgIMG_4377.jpgIMG_5946.jpgIMG_4369.jpgIMG_4786.jpgIMG_4793.jpg

That's a great cat. They sure are neat animals. Thanks for the great pictures. Makes us feel like we were along for the ride!!

Nice writeup! And a great lion too! I would love to get a lion someday with dogs. That is a dream hunt of mine.

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing. Some years conditions and individual tracks make it seem easy. Other years, every race has some sort of drama and obstacle. Your cat will mean all that much more since you had to work so hard for it!

Very nice! But how many sets of tires does one man need? And what the hell is that dog doing in a tree? ;)

Really cool write up and a great collection of photos.
So how big WAS that cat?....
and how in the heck is that dog getting down from his perch?haha

great pics and write up. Not that the lion isn't impressive, but how the hell does the dog get down from the tree?

That looks like a blast, I'd love to do something like that someday. I grew up coon hunting here in Indiana, that looks like a bigger/rougher version of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back