Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Savage Model 99

Montanaborn

Just drew on an Idaho Moose. Surely my model 99 .300 Savage using 180 grain bullets is heavy enough isn't it. I don't figure I'll be shooting over 100 yards. I really don't want to use idnative's 300 Mag.

I shot my one and only moose with my .270 from about 50 yards. He took a couple steps and tipped over.

Just curious, did you scope it? I have my grandfather's 300 Savage (model 99) and hunt out in the open west here in NM. I am stuck because I can't shoot the peeps worth a darn and can't bear to tap it for a scope.

Keep your shots to that reasonable range and you'll be golden. I killed mine with a 7MM-08 last year and it worked just fine.

Last edited:
I got my .300 from my dad who received it when he was 16 from his father. Dad scoped it long before I was born with a 4 power weaver. I finally put a new 3x9 scope on it about 8 years ago.

Never witnessed a moose kill in my life but have seen a 300 Savage drop an elk DRT. So I concur that with a strong bullet and careful placement, make freezer space.

I have one also, it was my great gandfather's n he used to hunt elk n deer w it back n the day. He got quite a few w those old 180grn silver tips, weaver straight 4x.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back