Yeti GOBOX Collection

First Time Elk Hunting Colorado Cow Elk Tips

GoDawgs!

Hi All,

Heading out for my first elk hunt this fall in Colorado. Besides escaping civilization and backpacking for a week, I'm in it for the meat so will be looking for cows. Planning to hunt the Grand Mesa - Raggeds Wilderness area in 1st Rifle Season.

Most people I've talked to have offered tips on finding bulls and their behavior but I've been unable to find much on where to look for cows and what they're patterns are this time of year.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Well, first rifle, the rut will still be kind of on, so the bulls will still be kind of noisy. I wouldn't look for cows, I'd look for elk.

If you are in open terrain, glassing is all you'll need really, but a good locator bugle can save you a lot of time. Cows will likely be with a bull or two anyway.

If you are dark timber, I think listening is the most important part. If you can't move through that type of terrain with good wind and relatively quietly, you won't see anything. The locator bugle is still the go to call and some cow calling can bring in a curious uneducated elk. Generally, cow calls don't work like they do on TV. I see elk do really stupid things first couple weeks of archery and then they start wising up around here.

I've only hunted 1st rifle once and the hard part I found with it is you have such a short stretch of time, it is hard to keep the energy up. I would plan on an off/easy day in the middle to recharge.

I've had the complete opposite experience of Pow and found locator bugling to be a waste of time, while cow calls have brought in both bulls and cows. Funny how that works.

However, within one unit I've had some areas where calling at all just pushes the elk out. Dogged a herd in those spots several times and even with 40+ cows they didn't make a peep.

Lost calf is good. But also when bulls are bugling there's cows nearby. I know a guy going to Wyoming on a cow tag. His words, theory is you call bulls...and just shoot the one next to it. When rifle hunting it's a lot easier to see antlers sticking through the brush. He'll almost always be close by to his cows.

The only problem is the rut could be over by 1st rifle. So, you really need to see what's going on before working out a strategy.

In my limited experience, bulls will still have cows with them and you have a good shot at hearing some bugling. I don't know if you'll really be able to call anything in although it is a possibility. I'd definitely have at least a cow call - if you bust a herd you may be able to put them at ease with a quick cow call...maybe.

Besides preseason scouting trips, we'll be out there 2-3 days before the season opens to see what they're up to. Thanks again for all the info!

Yes, that's the scouting that works. It does no good to know what the elk are doing in July.

Although, i'm up there looking at them all year long. They're fun to watch.

Those units will be pressured, alot, even in first rifle. That's ok though. Other hunters are going to be moving the elk, use this to your advantage. You really need to pick some areas you want to hunt a scout them before the season. Find the elk travel corridors, and post up in areas you can see. The Grand Mesa side of the road holds more elk in my opinion, but also has more hunters than the raggeds. I love the raggeds though, it is a beautiful area. Carry a small cow call, that's all you need.

I drew a first rifle tag in 521 also. I am looking at the Raggeds too. My only worry is it looks like a lot of outfitters are set up in that area. Is it possible to get away from them? Should i even worry about the hunting pressure in that unit on 1st rifle? Thanks..

I have hunted both units. And still currently hunt 1 of them. I ha e never left there with a tag unfilled. But lots of hunters and seems to be fewer elk every year. Find a hell hole and you'll find the elk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back