Down pant options

teamhoyt

Just curious what guys are running or options for a down pant. I am looking for some that zip down the legs.

I feel like if I were running in down pants, I would sweat my nuts off.....

Seriously, I am looking at the First lite Uncompahgre pants for glassing.

I ordered a pair myself. If they are anything like the jacket, they will be in my pack every time I put in on.

I picked up a pair of Patagonia's at an outlet sale a few years back for cheap. I use them for winter camping and sitting in a deer stand during the winter. Like MinnesotaHunter, if I am moving at all then they make me sweat like a pig.

The wife likes to wear them around the house during the winter too.

I've been looking for a replacement pair as well. RAB is near the top of the list. They have reinforced butt, and instep area. Pack down to nothing. I've been looking for a while and would be open to other choices.

I think I would go with synthetic over down, but not sure it matters if the down is treated?

I've had a few pairs for COLD weather glassing sessions, ice climbing, and winter rambling. The synthetics start to get pretty heavy for the insulation you get vs. down but they're cheaper. If it's cold enough to need them the only way they'll get very wet is from the inside out, but that can happen. Moisture leaving skin condenses and freezes in the insulation, same reason you use a a VBL in a sleeping bag for long term winter use. Anyway, I've used the Integral Designs Denali, Rab Photon, Montbell Thermawrap, and Western Mountaineering Flight. The only pair I still have is the Thermawrap, cause I don't mind abusing them and they're about the right weight/insulation to get me through December in the mountains. I've used them to stretch a 3-season bag into 4-seasons as well.

If I were buying new now, I'd look hard WM Flash unless durability is a high priority. For a cheaper synthetic option I still think the u.l. Thermawrap pants are a good deal at about half the cost of the Flash.

Last edited by a moderator:
How cold is the weather you encounter? I have been in -10F with sustained 20mph winds. I stayed comfortable with layering and windproof shell while standing on a ridgetop for 2 hours glassing 360 degrees. The cold did radiate up through the bottom of my boots so I had to walk in place a few minutes. Had a liner sock, thin wool sock and then a heavy wool hiking sock on and was just a tad tight in the boot so wiggling my toes was not possible. I tended to turn away from the wind to glass as my eyes would water facing the wind. Had the nice, warm mittens where can slip your hand out to focus the binos. Had balaclava style that pushed my exhale back over my ears.

I wore down clothing as a kid on frigid days afield but switched to synthetics immediately after falling through ice one evening in the dark after basketball practice while checking muskrats sets along the edge of a pond's steep bank that had rotten ice. The down become a heavy wet mat and I struggled in boots with wet socks to walk back across a plowed field to my truck. Was lucky did not go hypothermic. Not sure how I survived being 16 but that is in the rear view mirror now.

I see kuiu has super down pants on outlet for $159, anyone tried them? Bambi I know you haven't lol.
8oz lighter than 1lite and $75 cheaper.

Back