Bird #5 of 2017... "save the best for last" (Video & pics)

pointingdogsrule

Still off of work for a few days and I have a tag to fill for Iowa's 4th season. Went out Sunday morning and all the toms were henned up and went south. However, there was a bonus *Rule #1: the only good 'yote is a dead 'yote. Rule #2: if a 'yote enters my decoy field his life will be very short.

The "old guy in full camo"
attachment.php

Dead 'yote at 24 yards.
attachment.php

Big female.
attachment.php

Sunday afternoon I set up a blind in the area that the turkeys had left the field. I was in the blind at 4:15 Monday morning. The morning started fast with lots of gobbling, however, NO hens flew down into the field... that's bad news. Did I spook them coming in?? Eventually a bearded hen came out and entered the decoy field. By far the longest and heaviest beard that I have ever seen on a hen. I do NOT shoot hens in the spring. Things slowed down, however, there were gobbles in the distance. I was hoping if I kept calling a lonely guy would show up. Yep, at 7:00*he enters the field. Video camera going. I gave him 4 minutes of camera time before ending the episode. 25 lbs., 1 1/8 spurs and as a bonus 11" heavy beard and a 7" thinner beard. 18"*of total beard.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Video: 12 minutes long. first minute a bearded hen... then lots of strutting.... last few minutes the shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eybw5qq-WA

good luck to all
the dog

That "old guy" in full camo is evidently not affected by poison ivy very much.

What a fantastic turkey venue, and some very showoff strutting done by your Iowa bird. Congratulations

Good lookin' bird.... I'm starting to itch just looking at that picture

That "old guy" in full camo is evidently not affected by poison ivy very much.

What a fantastic turkey venue, and some very showoff strutting done by your Iowa bird. Congratulations

That's actually an ASH tree in my face. We got lots of those around here. I can see what you would think poison ivy.

good luck to all
the dog

Nice!!
Im jealous of you still having Ash trees....ours are all but gone thanks to the Emerald Ash Borer

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back