Tick Removal and Care

406LIFE

With everything going around on social media, the reports that this might be one of the worst years yet for ticks, and the sheer number I have seen locally, I wanted to make sure good info was being passed along. I've dealt with tick illnesses myself and would not wish it on anyone. I'm not an expert, my source for the info below is the CDC.

Removal:
1. Use fine-tipped tweezers to grasp the tick as close to the skin's surface as possible.
2. Pull upward with steady, even pressure. Don't twist or jerk the tick; this can cause the mouth-parts to break off and remain in the skin. If this happens, remove the mouth-parts with tweezers. If you are unable to remove the mouth easily with clean tweezers, leave it alone and let the skin heal.
3. After removing the tick, thoroughly clean the bite area and your hands with rubbing alcohol, an iodine scrub, or soap and water.
Dispose of a live tick by submersing it in alcohol, placing it in a sealed bag/container, wrapping it tightly in tape, or flushing it down the toilet. Never crush a tick with your fingers. Or, wrapt it in tissue paper and freeze (this could help with identification of the tick and disease later).
4. Also check frequently over a few days for seed ticks/nymphs. They can be hard to spot until they have fed.

After care from bite:
1. Watch the area. If there is redness, take a picture to document spread.
2. Distinctive rashes form for some of the tickborne illnesses.
3. Follow up with a doctor if any symptoms appear in few days.

DON'T use a tick removal trick like peppermint oil, cotton swab, etc. This can cause the tick to regurgitate in you and spread disease. Simply pulling so that the head releases and comes out is enough.

Last edited:
Thanks 406. We were in western Colorado 1 month ago and found about 5-10 ticks crawling around on us everyday.

I always save the tick in a sealed case of some sort. Usually a contact lens case. The Dr. office ALWAYS wants proof from me before they'll issue a round of doxycycline. We're talking deer ticks here, right?

You guys should Google Permethrin. I'm not going to recommend it to anyone but it's what I use. Working in the woods, it will cut the number of ticks from 40 to 60 a day to very low single digits. An added benefit is I have never come home with fleas:cool: If you have any questions just ask.

I have used permethrin for the last couple of years. Last year on a bear hunt we got back to camp and my brotherinlaw who didn't use the stuff had 5 ticks on him and 20+ on his clothes, found some more after he had flown home on his back pack. I had none. I dose my shirt, pants, boots, and pack.

After turkey hunting one morning I threw all my clothes in the backseat of my truck; something I normally don't do but was in a hurry. Picked up the kids and we were having dinner and my daughter started screaming about a spider on her; she was jumping around and swatting so I never saw it. About 30 minutes later she said another spider was on her, turned out to be a tick. After driving somewhere the next day felt one crawling on my neck. They had came off my hunting clothes and infested my truck. Had to spray down my truck with tick killer spray. So yeah, long answer to say is they are bad this year.

Nice summary of tick info, 406. Thanks for sharing. That is really interesting re: peppermint oil. I saw that on the net and thought it was worth the try considering bear season and ticks out the yaa-hoo...

Thanks again.

I got sick from a tick bite and believe me you don't want go down that road! I was home sick in bed for about a week while running a temperature of about 101-102. The doctor just about admitted me in the hospital. Not much fun. I hate those little buggers.

I have used permethrin for the last couple of years. Last year on a bear hunt we got back to camp and my brotherinlaw who didn't use the stuff had 5 ticks on him and 20+ on his clothes, found some more after he had flown home on his back pack. I had none. I dose my shirt, pants, boots, and pack.

I mix up a spray bottle with a capful or two and water and leave in my truck. It's the best and by far the cheapest thing I've found.

Nothing can compare to the class of wearing tick and flea dog collars on your boots though.

I wonder how many people on that flight wound up with ticks in their luggage:hump:

Ticks on a Plane.

I too have done battle with tick borne illness. Not a fun time. I now use permethrin like was mentioned above, with good success. Another tip for removal of attached ticks is a drop of peppermint oil. They'll back out in a hurry!

You guys should Google Permethrin. I'm not going to recommend it to anyone but it's what I use. Working in the woods, it will cut the number of ticks from 40 to 60 a day to very low single digits. An added benefit is I have never come home with fleas:cool: If you have any questions just ask.

Been using for years, probably had 1 tick in the last decade after crawling through tick infested grounds for a month and a half every spring.

I did just see a clip of peppermint oil dropped on an attached tick and it baked right out.

I know a young man that now has a beef allergy due to a tick bite, I never go out with out Permethrin applied to clothing.

Nice summary of tick info, 406. Thanks for sharing. That is really interesting re: peppermint oil. I saw that on the net and thought it was worth the try considering bear season and ticks out the yaa-hoo...

Thanks again.

Funny, I've heard from folks who use the peppermint oil with no ill effects.

I mix up a spray bottle with a capful or two and water and leave in my truck. It's the best and by far the cheapest thing I've found.

Nothing can compare to the class of wearing tick and flea dog collars on your boots though.
That last part makes me think of another tip, though dog related, that uses cattle ear tags. Some ear tags are of a similar make up as tick/flea collars for dogs. I've read of folks using these or portions of them as a substitute for the collars as they can be cheaper. 25 tags for about $20. I'm thinking I may buy some to double up on the protection for my dog by putting one as his collar when out and about. A trimmed up one would be easy enough to lace to my boots/shoes for when I'm in high tick areas.

IMG_20170516_063129.jpg

This little device is a must for everyone in tic country.Not certain it would handle Deer tics but removing Wood tics on dogs and humans with this tool is quick and efficient.No chance of leaving the head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back