Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Which rifle and round to get next? 270 7mm-08 7mm Rem Mag

In the UK we would suggest the 6.6x55 (6.5 Swedish) really under rated calibre which will take Elk. The 140gr in a 6.5 is as effective as the 165gr 30cal out to 300yards. If you want to be different go Swedish.

Personally I would lean towards the 7mm-08, packs plenty of punch for hunting distances. If you are looking to begin reloading, you'll solve the one issue that comes with getting into the caliber...ammunition availability. Load up a partition or accubond and dial in the gun, you will not be disappointed.

From the options in the OP, I'd suggest 7-08 and in the Howa.

From my very limited handling of the XPR, I put it near the bottom of the budget rifles. I'd go with a Ruger American or Savage over that XPR.

That said I'd be inclined to rebarrel/restock/customize one you already have vs. buying a new one considering you have a bit of over lap with the ones you listed that you currently own. One could put almost put a new barrel and stock on the 308 to get a 7-08 for about the same price as a new rifle and scope.

Last edited:
Hard to beat a plain vanilla .270 IMO. I know its not a fad caliber like the 6.5 CM or the hunt talk 7mm-08, but it offers cheap, readily available ammo, mild recoil, great knock down power. Wife and kids have all killed animals with it and their small framed and shoot it well

Just get what you want, all 3 will take down anything. I'm a boring 30/06 shooter myself

Hard to beat a plain vanilla .270 IMO. I know its not a fad caliber like the 6.5 CM or the hunt talk 7mm-08, but it offers cheap, readily available ammo, mild recoil, great knock down power. Wife and kids have all killed animals with it and their small framed and shoot it well

Just get what you want, all 3 will take down anything. I'm a boring 30/06 shooter myself

100% agree with all of this and think the .270 win is super underrated as people search for the new next best thing. Except you already have a 30-06 so why get a .270 unless you are recoil sensitive to the 30-06. you already have a .308 so why get a 7mm-08. go with the 7 mag if those are the only 3 choices. if not. go with something more exotic since you are going to reload. ex 6.5x284. I also agree a .243 is a pretty sweet round and is great for coyotes or other varmints.

As for the rifle we shoot vanguard and haven't had a bad one yet triggers need a little work most of the time but all have shot good currently have 223,243 ,308, 300wsm. For the price they seem to be good rifles. On the caliber they all have a purpose or niche pick the one you like best .

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you and am looking at getting a mid-range caliber that can do everything from antelope to elk. The 7mm-08 is proven. Like a couple others mentioned, I'm looking at the 280 Ackley improved. A guy should really handload if you get that caliber though. Might get a Weatherby 6.5-300 in the future sometime if I get the itch to buy a gun. That could be a sweet antelope gun zipping 125 grain bullets 3,500 fps.

.270 is a very general purpose big game rifle, along with the .308 and 30-06. I'd be more inclined to put the 7-08 more in the category of medium size game, although I know of a few elk being shot with them.

The 7mm Rem mag is tough to beat if you want to reach out for longer ranges hunting elk or Mule deer one of these days. Not much recoil for a noticeable performance advantage over your 30-06 with an excellent selection of bullets. The 7-08 and 270 are excellent rounds but don't really give you anything you don't already have covered with your 30 caliber selections.

I love mine and in 40 years of use it has been effective on everything from squirrels to big bull elk to a large boar over 500 yards but it really shines on deer at extended ranges. Mine likes 150 grain bullets with the Barnes TTSX it breaks bones and penetrates well on elk, with the Nosler ballistic tips it drops deer in their tracks. The 7 mag allows you to sight in at 225 yards and everything under 340 yards is point and shoot no thinking required, a big advantage in the field.

In rifles the Howa and Weatherby Vanguard are tough to beat as long as weight isn't an issue. Personally I like a little more weight, but most of my hunting is from a stand these days.

As far as the cartridge consideration : Obviously the 7mm Mag and the 7mm-08 share the same bullets, and the 270 is just a hair smaller diameter. In my mind the 270 is like a lighter 7mm Mag, and the 7mm-08 is a lighter 270. All three will do an excellent job on most of our North American deer. With the mag giving you the most reach, energy and recoil and the 7mm-08 the least. You could compromise with the 270, but I find that when I try to compromise I'm still not satisfied. I have seen some shooters shudder with the blast and recoil of the mag and even a few with the 270. I love all 3, but if forced to choose, I personally would take the 7mm-08. It will cleanly kill game with recoil that most shooters can handle. You can also run 120 grain bullets and get nearly the same velocity as the 270 in 130 grains, if velocity is your thing. I think most hunters would do well to limit their shots to under 300 yards and practice a lot with a light recoiling rifle until those shots become easy. Personally when I spot and stock I get more satisfaction from seeing how close I can get to the game. That is hunting. So while I like all 3 cartridges you listed, for me the recoil of the mag is unnecessary.

Of the rifles you have given to choose from ,the answer is simple.
The Howa is great reliable and we'll proven gun with fantastic customer service ( if needed at all).
Of the calibers listed it appears you lack a magnum. The 7 mm REM. mag. will fix that nicely for you.
All the other rifles you listed wouldn't be much different or advantageous over what you already own. Hard to beat a good shooting 06' ,but long shots over 400 yards are easier with a flatter shooter like the 7 mm REM. mag. .

Well, owning a 270Win, 7mm-08, 7mm Rem Mag. I guess I have this to add...
Inside of about 400 yards there isn't much the Rem Mag will do that the -08 won't. And less recoil from the 08..

As for the 270.. I bought an Interarms Whitworth in 270 last year. But I bought it knowing I was going to re-barrel it. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with the cartridge, it's just not my preferred choice.
So what did I order...

E.R. Shaw #1 1/2 contour, 24" long, 11degree recessed crown, polished, blued.......

284 Win..

Man I can't wait!!!

I m not a .270 fan, but that with the reduced load 120 gr work great for the young guns. My buddy has two boys shooting the 270 with reduced loads I made and also with the factory Hornady reduced loads with perfection. Light recoil easy to find ammo. So as they grow we will move them up. Dad bought both boys Winchester model 70 featherweights in 270 win topped with vx3 4-12 scopes. One and done for his kids. Now they both have rifles that will do what ever is needed out side of the big bears. They can grow into them. I would say the same set up in 7mm-08 would be just as nice and fit the same role. In my parts its hard to get ammo so the 270 was the winner.

Cheers

7mm mag if your not concerned with recoil. It has a great bc and versatility. 139gr-175+grains. If your going to reload, go 7 mag. Get your some 168gr vid's and some Retumbo.

+1

It does kick, but I never have to worry about not having enough rifle. Ammo can be found anywhere, but its not a gun that you will want to take to the range and shoot a lot of rounds through. I personally love mine.

100% agree with all of this and think the .270 win is super underrated as people search for the new next best thing. Except you already have a 30-06 so why get a .270 unless you are recoil sensitive to the 30-06...

That's what I was gonna say. You can find ammo from 120-220 grains.

Or one could go with a something like an RPG-32. It's a little heavy for smaller game, but doesn't recoil against the shoulder at all. It'll also cook and quarter, at least partially, whatever you hit with it. Not only that, it lightens the need to have to pack out all those pesky heavy parts of the animal.

I have been nothing but impressed with my .270. Low recoil, can kill anything from small antelope to large elk. Even when I was a skinny 100lb 12 year old it didn't beat me up. Wide range of ammo choices. It's my favorite caliber.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back