MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Which rifle and round to get next? 270 7mm-08 7mm Rem Mag

I'm prefer the 7mm rem mag, as I own one. Ammo is easy to find, has a wide selection of high bc bullets, and shoots flat and far. I don't remember the kick being that bad on it when it was stock, but now my 7mm is a custom and kicks less than my sons .243. 20170126_202935 (2) (Large).jpg

i'm a fan of the 270. great caliber, ammo is easy to find, and with a good bullet there is a lot that can be done with the 130gr bullet. yes there are the 140,150 & 160 grain bullet(s) out there, but honestly from deer to hogs to bears i've only used the 130 grain bullet and have gotten DRT results every time. as for rifle, i would go the the Howa over the XPR, you'll get a better rifle. good luck with any decision you make.

Any man that owns a 30-06 has little use for a 270.
Just my opinion ,but I like a good variety of calibers to hunt for various size game in various types of terrain.
Having several rifles similar in porformance and capability is fine for some but a waist of money for me.
You won't regret that magnum if you have a need to shoot large game at distances over 400 yrds.
Anything less than 400 will fall to what you already have.

Go with 7 mag. U got an 06 which is bad close to a 270 and you have a 308 with is right there with the 7mm08. Is rather that a 7 mag for bear also. 7 mag expands your collection more imo as far as game options. And its a very accurate powerful carriage.

I have a Vanguard walnut stock in 7-08, added a Timney trigger. It's been my go to rifle for years, very accurate. I have a TC venture in 7 mag which I have not hunted with much but have started shooting every week preparing for next years elk hunt. After putting 80 plus rounds thru it and a new scope I like it a lot too. I have a .243, .308 and newest addition is a heavy barreled Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor, too heavy for me to hunt much with but a tack driver. My next purchase will be a hunting weight (lighter) 6.5 Creedmoor. So my suggestion is 6.5 Creedmoor, but I love my 7-08. I've thought about getting a .270 because ammo is everywhere and cheap but I just stock pile my other calibers when there are sales.

This is my first posting in the forum. I am looking for opinions on which new rifle and caliber to purchase. I can't seem to make my mind up and every few days decide on a different one. So here is my dilemma...

The two rifles I am debating are the Winchester XPR Hunter with the Kuiu camo or the Howa 1500 Gameking.

As far caliber I have a .30-30 .308, and .30-06, and of course a few .223/5.56 rifles. I am looking for something in a sub .30 caliber. Currently I am leaning toward either the .270 7mm-08 or 7mm Rem mag. I am going to start reloading so I am not concerned about ammo cost being an issue.

To date, I have only ever hunted Texas whitetail and feral hogs (aside from pheasants in South Dakota and Iowa). But have been wanting to go on a black bear hunt or OTC elk hunt and am finally planning on going this fall. I'd also like to hunt antelope at some point but that is probably not going to happen anytime in the next year.

Any advice??
As for the calibers you have in question there is no wrong or bad choice... I have guns chambered in each of the mentioned caliber and am comfortable with carrying any of them in the woods... I usually only break out the 7 mag when shots might be taken at the 500 plus yards range... The 270 will reach out there as well and has a great selection of ammo to choose from... The 7mm-08 is a great hunting cartridge with very minimal recoil that i have grown fond of shooting and I have purchased my wife and son rifles in this caliber and they love it as well... I know you did not mention the 280 Remington in your list and might have no interest in it at all but in my opinion after shooting and hunting with many different calibers and cartridges I feel that the 280 Remington is the best all around cartridge for any animal within the continental U.S. ballistics are nipping on the heels of 7 mags especially with handloads... Factory ammo is plentiful in my neck of the woods and the recoil is very similar to the 270 but you have the options of shooting heavier bullets in the 280 vs the 270! It just seems to drop any animal Ive hunted with authority

If you reload I would take a 270. I have or have had all the rounds you mentioned. All work great. Currently my big game battery is a 270 and 7mm Rem. I essentially use my 7mm for shooting heavier bullets 150 to 160, and my 270 for 130s. Each gun has overlap so if one gun goes out of commission the other will work. A 270 hand loaded to 3100 fps or higher with a stout 130 grain bullet will nip at the factory loaded 7mm mag heels for on game performance. Plus, of you loose a box of ammo and need to stop in tim-buc-too nowhere-land for ammo they will likely have 130 grain 270 ammo relatively inexpensive.

"Assuming a cartridge can make its way on merit alone, that cartridge is the .270 W.C.F. In its early years it sat in the corner, dressed in sackcloth and covered with ashes, while few riflemen suspected that underneath it had a figger like Miss America, a disposition like an angel, and it could bake pies like Mother used to make.” - Jack O'Connor.

Based on your hunting and future plans as well as the cals you already have I would suggest you take advantage of todays lighter weight rifles and great bullets in low kicking cal like 7mm08. 270 might be great as well if the short action offerings are just a bit to light for you. Some of those future hunts you are planning may involve some serious hiking and a lighter weight (sub 7lbs scoped) might be welcome.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back