Scope Recommendations

Edwards151

Ok folks - trying not to open a huge can of worms here, but I need some advice. I surprised my wife with a Tikka T3 Lite stainless in 270 for Christmas this year and she was psyched. We're in Montana, hunting deer and elk primarily. Now her birthday is coming up in July and I've been planning to get her a scope for the rifle (which I plan to mount myself - a first, but that's another topic). I know I know, spend a lot of $$ on good glass and I won't regret it. Well, I'm having a really hard time justifying more than around $300 on a scope, knowing that's about what we have into the scope she's been using for years (a Leupold 3-9 x 50mm). She doesn't need or want any fancy features like turrets, huge magnification, etc. 200yds would be a long shot for her, and I don't think she'd even consider shooting anything further than 300. Probably the most important feature is keeping it light weight, accurate and rock solid.

I've been looking at Vortex, Leupold, and Nikon. Like I said, $300 is my target, but could be swayed to spend a little more if there was a good reason to (other than, the glass is so much better...)

I appreciate all of the shared wisdom this forum makes possible. Have a great weekend!

Jon

A Leupold 6x-42mm scope would serve her well. Bright and rugged and one power so each and every time she pulls the rifle up it looks exactly the same. There's a lot to be said for the simplicity of a good fixed power scope. It will work for close up shots and any of the ones you describe as her outer limits.

Ok folks - trying not to open a huge can of worms here, but I need some advice. I surprised my wife with a Tikka T3 Lite stainless in 270 for Christmas this year and she was psyched. We're in Montana, hunting deer and elk primarily. Now her birthday is coming up in July and I've been planning to get her a scope for the rifle (which I plan to mount myself - a first, but that's another topic). I know I know, spend a lot of $$ on good glass and I won't regret it. Well, I'm having a really hard time justifying more than around $300 on a scope, knowing that's about what we have into the scope she's been using for years (a Leupold 3-9 x 50mm). She doesn't need or want any fancy features like turrets, huge magnification, etc. 200yds would be a long shot for her, and I don't think she'd even consider shooting anything further than 300. Probably the most important feature is keeping it light weight, accurate and rock solid.

I've been looking at Vortex, Leupold, and Nikon. Like I said, $300 is my target, but could be swayed to spend a little more if there was a good reason to (other than, the glass is so much better...)

I appreciate all of the shared wisdom this forum makes possible. Have a great weekend!

Jon
Check out the new Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 line of hunting scopes. They're available in 2-7, 3-9 and 4-12 variable. With bright clear glass, solid and well built, they come with a European style eyepiece and they're available in graphite or black finish.Some, if not most models, will fall within your price range (after discounts).

Last edited:
A Leupold 6x-42mm scope would serve her well. Bright and rugged and one power so each and every time she pulls the rifle up it looks exactly the same. There's a lot to be said for the simplicity of a good fixed power scope. It will work for close up shots and any of the ones you describe as her outer limits.
This! Or a Leupold variable similar to what she currently uses. The 6X36 would come in under your price limit and gets great reviews.

The VX2 3x9x40 fits the OP's criteria but for less than a hundred more a VX3i 3.5x10x40 can be had.

This! Or a Leupold variable similar to what she currently uses. The 6X36 would come in under your price limit and gets great reviews.

I have a 6x36 on one of my rifles also and it is excellent as well as the 6x42mm. If you decide on a variable as another poster has stated, the 3.5-10x40mm Leupold is a great scope as would be a 2.5-8x36mm scope.

Look for a VX-3i 1.75×6. Set it at 4× and she will have loads of eye relief. Even though its a 270 you don't want her getting a scope cut on her eyebrow or nose. She won't appreciate the cut or you either. This scope is light and will balance well on the rifle. It has plenty of exit pupil for early AM/PM shots. GJ

I can vouch for the VX-2. Underrated scope for the money. I have a few, and one of them lived on a RUM for a long time. The 3-9 is perfect for what you are looking for. mtmuley

Inside 200yds, maybe pushing out to 300yds? Sounds exactly what I faced when I was looking for a scope on my 338 Fed. My choice was the Leupold V1 2x7x33. Got it from Predator Optics and I think the total cost was $207 shipped. At 11oz it's plenty light weight, plenty magnification for field use, and has done just fine at the range.

Don't let the 33mm Objective sway your decision. Coatings have Far more effect on light gathering capability and clarity than a bigger Objective.

My $0.002

I have Leupold VX2, 2 VX 3i, Zeiss Terra, Burris Fullfield, Minox , and Nikon. I was very impressed by the Zeiss Terra, so I ordered another one but when I received it the elevation turret turned hard compared to my other Terra, and I couldn't feel the clicks. I sent it back in exchange for another VX3i. I have never had an issue with a Leupold optic. I did have an issue with their QRW bases on my Kimber rifle and they recommended I use the Waren Quick Release bases and rings for my Kimber. Now a company that will recommend another company that competes with them has my respect! So looks like I am a Leupold fan even though I don't have any big complaints with the other brands I mentioned. Just the peace of mind is worth spending a few bucks extra on Leupold.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Picked up a Vx3i 3.5-10x 40mm today and decided to make in a Mothers Day present. Excited to surprise her tomorrow! Cheers!

If you're still going to mount the scope yourself make sure of the eye relief. All of us so-called tough guys may not worry about getting a neat semi circular scar on the bridge of the nose or eye brow, but your wife will BIG time. Unless that's your plan for a divorce. Be careful. GJ

Great choice.

Cabelas also has the Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x for $219. Really good deal for anyone else looking for a decent scope at a good price. I've got two and they're good. Not as nice as your Leupold but solid.

I have the exact VX3i on my Tikka T3 in 308 win. Very clear with plenty of power, yet still light weight. She will love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back