Looking for a "budget" pack

I just recently bought the Alps Traverse X pack, 48liters(2900ci), comes with gun/ bow holder,rain cover and can haul meat. Very comfortable pack, and can pack for up a week out. Has a water reservoir pocket as well. Paid a little over $200 for it. Check it out, might be what you are looking for. Good luck.

I just recently bought the Alps Traverse X pack, 48liters(2900ci), comes with gun/ bow holder,rain cover and can haul meat. Very comfortable pack, and can pack for up a week out. Has a water reservoir pocket as well. Paid a little over $200 for it. Check it out, might be what you are looking for. Good luck.
You pack a lot lighter or have much more compact gear than I if you can fit a week of gear/food/shelter in a 2900ci pack. Well done!

If you are set on buying new, I'd definitely give the Alps a good look. IMO, they are the best pack for the money.

I am another user of the Alps Commander pack. I have packer several elk and deer with it and for anywhere near the money you can't go wrong.....I got a screamin deal on mine ( the whole pack and bag combo for under 70) and if you look you can too. I will admit it is not as bomb proof as some of the others but it is VERY serviceable. I also take a Osprey internal frame pack for backup. It will fit a quarter in it and carry it comfortably too :)

Craigslist is an option for used backs. But since you have Okie in your name, I'm guessing you are from OK. Not alot of people probably selling Kifaru/Exo/Stone Glacier in OK. You can check other states, but you can't get your hands on one until you've bought and had it mailed to you. I found a Dana Design pack(precurser to Mystery Ranch) for sale on the Bozeman Craigslist a few weeks ago. https://bozeman.craigslist.org/spo/6089361323.html I guess its still listed.

What you can probably find, is a USMC IlBC pack. I've seen them in pawn shops for between $75 and $100. I have no experience with them, but they look like a decent pack to me when I've picked them up. I think they should be something you could find in a pawn shop in OK and try on, throw a little weight in them. Its a cheaper option for a guy to try out.

You can find of piece together from parts a USMC Ilbe back for around $100 on ebay or under if your patient. I stripped mine of heavy pieces and it comes in under 7 lbs. I used mine for archery season last year and it worked great, i traded into what i thought was a better pack(horn hunter full curl) but im going back to the Ilbe this year because it worked better for me until i upgrade...

I have gotten excellent new & used packs from many sources listed here.
Bargain deals from REI & Cabellas', Sierra Trading post etc...
Got a deal on a Eberlestock pack from Kenetrek when they were upgrading stock one year. A new J104 for $120. I use it all the time still.
Got my Alaska freight pack from Cabellas' bargain cave 25 yrs ago for $80,it is always in my truck for the meat haul still and a good trail camp pack.
Was looking @ a ebay MR crewcab 2 yrs ago when I was offered a used one from BF cheap. My go to hunt/scout pack now.

I would suggest looking at the Slumberjack Bounty. The new model, the 2.0, is still a little pricey but the older version, the 4500, can be found for $179 or less. I've had the 4500 for a couple of years now and packed several elk and deer with it. You can run it as the full pack (frame, large bag and day pack) or you can run just the small day pack or with just the frame. It's pretty versatile and can take some extreme weight. If you have any specific questions about it let me know, I would be happy to help you out.

I just picked up the Bounty for $129 on amazon. Take a look at on their site as i believe they still have a video up that goes through the features.

I'll second the ILBE pack off Ebay (Arcteryx design for the USMC), I liked mine so much I picked up a second one (newer/nicer condition) this February. It's a sturdy well built pack, it's a little big for day hunts for my taste but scrunches down pretty well. It is the perfect size for hauling elk quarters. It comes in a good camo pattern and as mentioned above you can get the weight down under 7 pounds with some trimming.

I picked up a used Alps commander frame with bag for $110 on eBay and I got it in the mail yesterday. I think is gonna work out to be just what I needed, I even had my 100 lb nephew sit on the load shelf to see how it handled with a heavy load and it was a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be. I appreciate all the suggestions and good luck this fall.

I picked up a used Alps commander frame with bag for $110 on eBay and I got it in the mail yesterday. I think is gonna work out to be just what I needed, I even had my 100 lb nephew sit on the load shelf to see how it handled with a heavy load and it was a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be. I appreciate all the suggestions and good luck this fall.

I think you will be happy....

Slumberjack or Bounty. The older model is on sale and a good price. I use my day pack strapped to it and it's great. It will handle a heavy load with ease.

I've used the alps commander frame for 5 years now and it has held up pretty good for what I've put it through. I recently broke the waist strap buckle so I called to get a replacement. To my surprise they sent me a new buckle no questions asked. I fully intended to purchase the buckle because I've had it for 5 years and broke it by slamming it in the truck door. Customer service was much better than I anticipated from a lower level pack company.

I just picked up a badland 2200 for the same situation that you are in. hunting from base camp but wanted a decent pack to pack meat and hold gear if needed. they can be had for $200 new.

I just picked up a badland 2200 for the same situation that you are in. hunting from base camp but wanted a decent pack to pack meat and hold gear if needed. they can be had for $200 new.

if you look around amazon, you can find them for even cheaper. I picked mine up about 5 months ago for $139. I didn't get it in the "latest and greatest" camo, but I don't need a specific camo to suit my needs. I am very impressed with the capability and features of the pack. I started out with a Kelty Red Cloud 90, so this pack has a much different feel to it, as well as being lighter than the Kelty.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back