Yeti GOBOX Collection

Montana Spring Bear Success: Photos and Video

Not to pick nits, but the way the regulations read...from April 8th on, game cameras would be illegal.

IMO, I think Montana needs to clarify regulations on that, maybe they already have?

Nice bear BTW.
I think BHR was getting that straighten out. BIG CHANGES!! ;) :D

Very nice bear and way to stick it out to the end! Great video which you will treasure for years. Looks like he was in really great shape and will be excellent eating.

Not to pick nits, but the way the regulations read...from April 8th on, game cameras would be illegal.

IMO, I think Montana needs to clarify regulations on that, maybe they already have?

Nice bear BTW.

The section is pretty clear. As long as the cameras are OUT of the field prior to the start of the season which is April 15 (not the 8th).............

Motion-Tracking Devices and/or Camera Devices- "It is illegal for a person to possess or use in the field any electronic or camera
device whose purpose is to scout the location of game animals or relay the
information on a game animal’s location or movement during any Commission adopted
hunting season."

The section is pretty clear. As long as the cameras are OUT of the field prior to the start of the season which is April 15 (not the 8th).............

Motion-Tracking Devices and/or Camera Devices- "It is illegal for a person to possess or use in the field any electronic or camera
device whose purpose is to scout the location of game animals or relay the
information on a game animal’s location or movement during any Commission adopted
hunting season."

Does mountain lion season running until April 14th impact this is at all?

I know a lot of the confusion has been with overlapping/alternating seasons. I've always interpreted it as ANY big game season, and have only used cameras from the end of bear season on June 15th to the beginning of Pronghorn season on August 15th.

I really would be curious to hear your take.

Does mountain lion season running until April 14th impact this is at all?

I know a lot of the confusion has been with overlapping/alternating seasons. I've always interpreted it as ANY big game season, and have only used cameras from the end of bear season on June 15th to the beginning of Pronghorn season on August 15th.

I really would be curious to hear your take.

The way the law is written, a strict interpretation would make it illegal for a game camera to be used from August 15 -June 15. I asked a local warden who is a friend and he said their instructions from FWP was not to prosecute or write tickets unless there is a current season underway for an animal that could be targeted by the game camera. (i.e.) He wouldn't write a ticket for a game camera over a wallow in NW MT on Aug 15 just because there was an archery antelope season underway in the rest of the state. Mileage may vary according to the zeal and demeanor of individual wardens. Its a poorly written rule with ambiguous language.

To the OP- Great bear! Congrats!

Great job on the video and hunt, way to stick with it and what a great looking bear! Good thing the trail was there to stop him in a good spot for the work ahead.

The way the law is written, a strict interpretation would make it illegal for a game camera to be used from August 15 -June 15. I asked a local warden who is a friend and he said their instructions from FWP was not to prosecute or write tickets unless there is a current season underway for an animal that could be targeted by the game camera. (i.e.) He wouldn't write a ticket for a game camera over a wallow in NW MT on Aug 15 just because there was an archery antelope season underway in the rest of the state. Mileage may vary according to the zeal and demeanor of individual wardens. Its a poorly written rule with ambiguous language.

To the OP- Great bear! Congrats!

You are correct. It is FWP policy to only enforce the rule if the camera is out scouting a species that there is a current open season for.

Dude that was an awesome story and I loved the video! Seriously so cool that you documented the whole thing. Way to go man!

Back