Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunt Talk Bear Hunt 4.0

Bear hunt 4.0 could be officially named "Bear hunters 0, Bears 14. Quigleysnores is our last hope for success. When I left camp I think I had him convinced to put one more hike into killing a bear. Just like last year, we found the X just as the hunt came to a close. They had a close encounter last night but couldn't make it happen. The quality of stories and campfire time made up for the relatively few sightings of bears and lack of shots fired. I think we were just a bit too early for the bears this year. It seemed like they were hanging in the thick stream bottoms. Very few clearcuts and roads had the quality and quantity of forage that draws them out into the open. Next week should be a cracker for those of you getting out in NW Montana.

Bear hunt 4.0 could be officially named "Bear hunters 0, Bears 14. Quigleysnores is our last hope for success. When I left camp I think I had him convinced to put one more hike into killing a bear. Just like last year, we found the X just as the hunt came to a close. They had a close encounter last night but couldn't make it happen. The quality of stories and campfire time made up for the relatively few sightings of bears and lack of shots fired. I think we were just a bit too early for the bears this year. It seemed like they were hanging in the thick stream bottoms. Very few clearcuts and roads had the quality and quantity of forage that draws them out into the open. Next week should be a cracker for those of you getting out in NW Montana.

Good to hear that all had a good, safe hunt. The green-up is awfully hard to plan for an organized hunt. I went out there one year during the 3rd week of May and was too early, and the next year I went in the same timeframe and was too late. There were still bears around, but there was plenty of feed in the timber with little reason to venture into the cuts.

Yes Quigley was on his way back to the spot...we're waiting for the call.

And whiff goes the bat.... just got a text from the Snoremeister that said his sightings consisted of a sow and a cub. Here's to next year gents.

And whiff goes the bat.... just got a text from the Snoremeister that said his sightings consisted of a sow and a cub. Here's to next year gents.

Maybe Mthuntr and I shouldn't have passed the one that probably still had milk on his lips...

Ouch...tails tucked in defeat most of us made it home. I'm downloading pics tonight and will post some stories tomorrow. Sorry guys the combo of 80 degrees then rain then snow may have affected the thread a bit. Shenanigans were had; some excellent fodder for the forum others not so much. In the meantime #what'syourcolorphase #bearden

We should organize an OTC deer hunt in Idaho, mule deer or whitetails up North, or an antelope doe hunt in Wyoming.

Anybody run into any griz this time?

We saw a few tracks but don't think there were sightings. I also spent a couple days visiting family in Dupuyer, their ranch was littered with Grizz tracks, but I didn't see any.

Too bad on the lack of bears. Still sounds like a good get together and looking forward to more pics. I had the same luck, only one bear and he wasn't big enough to take home.

34387475601_5026e4dbb2_c.jpg

Ya... I'd pass on that little cub as well, Miller... wouldn't even get a second thought from me.

Oh hey, where exactly was that pic taken? Those tiny yellow flowers... my daughter has this uh uh, school project. I'd like to pick a few. PM me the location. Thanks.

Sorry. I was drinking Jeff's heffe and kept forgetting my happy pills and wasn't sleeping right.

Just yanking your chain buddy. I figured your knee was giving you fits from me putting you back thru basic training to get your turkey. At least you got to notch some tags.

Attachments

• IMG_8910.jpg
    IMG_8910.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 390
Just yanking your chain buddy. I figured your knee was giving you fits from me putting you back thru basic training to get your turkey. At least you got to notch some tags.

Gerald Martin, please tell......whose has a longer beard, Cushman or the turkey?? :)

20170510_172411.jpg20170510_175459.jpgIMG_20170513_120848_796.jpg

Day 1 of my stretch at camp was spent with Schaaf. Rumor was the road was drifted in but we need to check out some open south-facing slope. On the way to our evening lookout, a small cinnamon bear stopped in the road. That was a promising site but definitely too small to even consider more than a quick glance. We discovered the road was, in fact, drifted in. It didn't take long to discover it hadn't really greened up so we moved back down in elevation. On our way back to camp, Justin and I saw a nice jet black bear.

Back at camp the crew was sharing stories of the evening over some of Kaitum's homebrew beers. It seems Schaaf and I were amongst the lucky few to see bears.

Back