Yeti GOBOX Collection

Treating Merino Wool With Permethrin For Tick

Have you asked First Lite directly for a response for applying it?

Also, I've never heard of this - will be using it this year for sure!

Last edited:
I treated my clothing with the .05% permethrin for a day bear hunt this year. I saw 3 ticks while seated watching an area for approx 1/2hr. Not a single tick was on me or my clothing.
This was a simple pump spray.
I had planned to mix my own from my horse supply of permethrin (10%) though wife caught me trying to sneak off with one of her spray bottles... She was having none of that! Haha!

I saw 3... No clue how many I didn't see while seated.
Not Merino Wool material though another support for permethrin spray use for clothing.

Last edited:
i ordered some.. they are thick here this year, and its the little ones that you can't feel crawling on ya.. its almost enough to make you not wanna go out

Got lymes over a decade ago at our cabin in Northern MN. Have been disciplined premetherin user ever since. Before premetherin, ever day outside up north guaranteed at least one tick found at the end of the day. Since using premetherin, not a single tick on any family member for 10 years - this stuff works! Even use parastar on the lab and she is tick free too.

Only downside is we have spent a fortune on Sawyer’s but thanks to comments above we will be making our own from concentrate this summer!

Last edited:
I buy it by the gallon from the farm store (the 10% stuff) and treat everything I wear in the field. I'm luck to have a week of days in the field each year, so I'd rather take my chances with permethrin than ticks. In fact, one still managed to embed in me during turkey season, so I put myself on doxy as a precaution. The tick-borne diseases are getting scary.

Doesn't seem to effect wool, but how about synthetics? I have the nylon corrugate guide pants that I'm the most worried about. I'm just going to go ahead with it because I'm headed to the lyme disease capital of WI... If this stuff works the way it's cracked up to I think it's going to be revolutionary!

We use it on everything including high end breathables and never had a problem. Used on pair of corrugated pants last fall and was fine.

Also, you should still use deet when in the field. Premetherin is not a repellant, it is an insecticide. I love 3Ms Ultrathon product. The DEET is encapsulated so they can use less harsh solvents so won’t wreck other gear like the traditional stuff .

Well, after spending the weekend in WI I ended up seeing zero ticks. Not what I was expecting. I sprayed down my FL Corrugated Guide Pants and haven't noticed anything bad with the materials. I also sprayed down my dog. Neither of us had any ticks on us at all the entire weekend, but neither did anyone else. Not the best test in the world but if I think of it I'll keep you guys in the loop when the ticks actually get out and about. Surprising that I didn't see any with how beautiful the weather was. I would have thought they would have been everywhere!

Strangely the ticks here in Central PA don't seem to be that bad this spring. Of course I've been avoiding going deep in to the woods because of them anyways. I've only found one on me all spring and it was at home while sitting in the lazy boy...no idea where it came from. Must have picked it up in the yard somewhere because I hadn't even been in the woods that day. My dog usually gets a ton of them, but even she has been mostly tick free this spring. We had a cold spring here, I wonder if that had something to do with it?

Back