Treating Merino Wool With Permethrin For Tick

Cevans

Do any of you treat your hunting clothing specifically merino wool with Permethrin? Any feedback is appreciated

Treated with permethrin regularly with no issues. I rarely venture out in the spring without treated outer wear

Sat through a presentation at work by a MD that specializes in tick diseases/infections. There is some scary stuff out there and new stuff spreading. I use the heck out of permethrin and haven't found it to have any ill effects on clothing, regardless of material type.

PS- I'm way more scared of ticks than either grizzlies or zombies!

PPS- Frankenstein never scared me.
PPPS- Marsupials do, 'cuz they're fast!

Sat through a presentation at work by a MD that specializes in tick diseases/infections. There is some scary stuff out there and new stuff spreading. I use the heck out of permethrin and haven't found it to have any ill effects on clothing, regardless of material type.

PS- I'm way more scared of ticks than either grizzlies or zombies!

PPS- Frankenstein never scared me.
PPPS- Marsupials do, 'cuz they're fast!

After seeing what Lyme, Ehrlichiosis and babesia did to my wife, who cares what it does to any clothing! Health is so much more important. I'd drink perermthrin if I could! Much rather take on a grizzly than battle those 3 tick illnesses!!!

Thanks for the info JDH, I had no idea........and I have no cats either so no worries there, but good to know.

I haven't used it on Wool but I have used it on other stuff. It is great stuff.

The good thing is I don't wash my outer gear very often. I have some stuff that was treated years ago and it still seems to work.

I've used it on merino blended socks and have had no issues. I also use it regularly on all of my hunting and outdoor clothes with no problems. I also spray my dogs bed with it.

I've never used it but will be this year. i hope it's as good as advertised. i heard a state biologist talk recently about Powassan virus you can get from ticks...not taking any chances with that.

I've used it on merino wool from first lite, both pants and tops, haven't seen any problems with the clothing yet. A friend who doesn't use it had a tick while mushroom hunting this spring so I borrowed it and put it on my pants that had been washed a couple of times since applying it and I've never seen a tick move so fast trying to get off those pants.

I take a small degree of satisfaction in knowing that I'm killing as many ticks as possible when I'm out in the woods.

The only "issue" I ever had was spraying a pair of synthetic pants that I have that obviously had been treated with some sort of water repelling substance. I'm not sure that the spray didn't work, but I only noticed because as I was spraying them it seemed like the spray was beading up and running down the legs.

Thank you for the feedback, do you guys typically use the laundry detergent or the spray? Any recommendations on brands?

Thank you

I use Sawyers spray and I also use permethrin from the feed store that is actually labeled for animal use (5% diluted done to the Sawyers percentage level )

I have used Sawyers spray but it gets expensive after a while. You can buy stronger concentrate much much cheaper, I've seen anywhere from 2% to 10% permethrin and dillute it down with water to sawyers level which is .5%. Just make sure the concentrate is water based. It's sometimes hard to find, but I've usually had luck at hardware stores and feed/animal supply type places.

There is also some companies where you can send them your clothing and they'll treat it professionally and it's supposed to last much longer than the spray, similar to the insect repellent clothing you can buy. I've never done that but I'm sure it's not cheap and I'm not sure that I trust their claims of how long it lasts. Once treated the spray is supposed to last for several weeks and multiple washings so that's good enough for me, although I tend to keep washing to a minimum. They also say to store the clothing away from direct sunlight.

I use Sawyers brand since it came out. Wouldn't go out without it. Works even after a few washes. Usual do touch up spray, once a month, just to be sure.

Just refreshing this topic: nobody still to this point has had any problems with ruining clothing using permethrin? I just spent a lot of money on a pair of First Lite pants and would definitely not be able to snag another pair if I ruin the material. From the input above, I think I should be good, but it's always worth checking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back