Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Treating Merino Wool With Permethrin For Tick

Do any of you treat your hunting clothing specifically merino wool with Permethrin? Any feedback is appreciated

Works for me and makes a big difference in keeping ticks off
    "Equality in access to Montana elk is not basic to the maintenance or wellbeing of the Union." -US SUPCO

Treated with permethrin regularly with no issues. I rarely venture out in the spring without treated outer wear
    No one can go back and make a brand new start, however anyone can start from now and make a new ending.

Sat through a presentation at work by a MD that specializes in tick diseases/infections. There is some scary stuff out there and new stuff spreading. I use the heck out of permethrin and haven't found it to have any ill effects on clothing, regardless of material type.

PS- I'm way more scared of ticks than either grizzlies or zombies!

PPS- Frankenstein never scared me.
    PPPS- Marsupials do, 'cuz they're fast!

Quote Originally Posted by 1_pointer View Post

hahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by 1_pointer View Post
    Sat through a presentation at work by a MD that specializes in tick diseases/infections. There is some scary stuff out there and new stuff spreading. I use the heck out of permethrin and haven't found it to have any ill effects on clothing, regardless of material type.

After seeing what Lyme, Ehrlichiosis and babesia did to my wife, who cares what it does to any clothing! Health is so much more important. I'd drink perermthrin if I could! Much rather take on a grizzly than battle those 3 tick illnesses!!!

Just don't let the missus cat sleep on anything that has been treated!
    http://catfriendly.com/be-a-cat-frie...rin-poisoning/

Thanks for the info JDH, I had no idea........and I have no cats either so no worries there, but good to know.
    No one can go back and make a brand new start, however anyone can start from now and make a new ending.

I haven't used it on Wool but I have used it on other stuff. It is great stuff.

The good thing is I don't wash my outer gear very often. I have some stuff that was treated years ago and it still seems to work.

I've used it on merino blended socks and have had no issues. I also use it regularly on all of my hunting and outdoor clothes with no problems. I also spray my dogs bed with it.

I've never used it but will be this year. i hope it's as good as advertised. i heard a state biologist talk recently about Powassan virus you can get from ticks...not taking any chances with that.

I've used it on merino wool from first lite, both pants and tops, haven't seen any problems with the clothing yet. A friend who doesn't use it had a tick while mushroom hunting this spring so I borrowed it and put it on my pants that had been washed a couple of times since applying it and I've never seen a tick move so fast trying to get off those pants.

I take a small degree of satisfaction in knowing that I'm killing as many ticks as possible when I'm out in the woods.

The only "issue" I ever had was spraying a pair of synthetic pants that I have that obviously had been treated with some sort of water repelling substance. I'm not sure that the spray didn't work, but I only noticed because as I was spraying them it seemed like the spray was beading up and running down the legs.

Thank you for the feedback, do you guys typically use the laundry detergent or the spray? Any recommendations on brands?

Thank you

I use Sawyers spray and I also use permethrin from the feed store that is actually labeled for animal use (5% diluted done to the Sawyers percentage level )

I have used Sawyers spray but it gets expensive after a while. You can buy stronger concentrate much much cheaper, I've seen anywhere from 2% to 10% permethrin and dillute it down with water to sawyers level which is .5%. Just make sure the concentrate is water based. It's sometimes hard to find, but I've usually had luck at hardware stores and feed/animal supply type places.

There is also some companies where you can send them your clothing and they'll treat it professionally and it's supposed to last much longer than the spray, similar to the insect repellent clothing you can buy. I've never done that but I'm sure it's not cheap and I'm not sure that I trust their claims of how long it lasts. Once treated the spray is supposed to last for several weeks and multiple washings so that's good enough for me, although I tend to keep washing to a minimum. They also say to store the clothing away from direct sunlight.

FWIW, you can get the concentrate on Amazon.

I use Sawyers brand since it came out. Wouldn't go out without it. Works even after a few washes. Usual do touch up spray, once a month, just to be sure.

Just refreshing this topic: nobody still to this point has had any problems with ruining clothing using permethrin? I just spent a lot of money on a pair of First Lite pants and would definitely not be able to snag another pair if I ruin the material. From the input above, I think I should be good, but it's always worth checking.
    Squirrel!!!

Used it on my Merino first lite shirt two weeks ago with no issues.

Have you asked First Lite directly for a response for applying it?

Also, I've never heard of this - will be using it this year for sure!
    Last edited by Ryan2782; 05-09-2018 at 12:07 PM.

Any effects on a DWR finish?

I treated my clothing with the .05% permethrin for a day bear hunt this year. I saw 3 ticks while seated watching an area for approx 1/2hr. Not a single tick was on me or my clothing.
    This was a simple pump spray.
    I had planned to mix my own from my horse supply of permethrin (10%) though wife caught me trying to sneak off with one of her spray bottles... She was having none of that! Haha!

I saw 3... No clue how many I didn't see while seated.
    Not Merino Wool material though another support for permethrin spray use for clothing.
    Last edited by Sytes; 05-09-2018 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Darn phone auto F-up... Haha! Ticket edited to correctly show as tick.
    " There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." - Theodore Roosevelt
    Live to work or work to live... Your choice.

i ordered some.. they are thick here this year, and its the little ones that you can't feel crawling on ya.. its almost enough to make you not wanna go out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast