Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Vortex Tripods

805Bowhunter

I know Outdoorsmans is the popular choice (I'm not disagreeing) but was curious if anybody has used any of the Vortex Tripods. I really love supporting their company and am in need of a new tripod. The price point is a bit better than the Outdoorsmans too. I love Vortex binos and have had an incredible experience with Vortex customer service.

Thoughts?

I use the Summit SS and like it pretty well. Caveat - I don't have much experience with many others, my other tripod is a Vanguard Altra 234 which is much heavier but easier to pan (I also have a different pan head). The Summit is lightweight and pretty quick to setup, although paired with my Vanguard spotting scope can be unstable. I primarily use it to mount my binos and it makes a world of difference.

I have the Summit SS-P and it is a solid tri-pod for the money. I use a 65mm Swaro spotter and 12x50 binos on it and it works just fine. Fairly lightweight and packs nicely. I have abused the crap out of mine and have yet to have it fail.

Some of the older ones were rebranded Manfrotto pods and they were excellent. I still have a big one i use when i am in the vicinity of the truck because of it's size. That being said, i have one other vortex tripod that wasn't very good at all. I am hard on equipment and spend a lot of time behind glass. I bought a carbon fiber tripod off amazon called Zomei and replaced the head with a manfrotto 700RC2 (IMO the best tripod head for the price and weight) last fal and used it a lot. Probably 200 hours behind it so far and no issues. It is light, packs well and very sturdy. The whole setup probably cost $250 or less and has replaced other far more expensive tripods

I've used the Summit SS-P for the past 3 seasons. I used the quick release plate on top so I can interchange my binos and spotter, I have no complaints.

Echo the thoughts above. I also have the Summit SS and I like it. I don't have a ton of experience either, as this is my first tripod, but it works very well when not fully extended. Most times I am using it when sitting down, so the height is good for it to remain stable even in wind. It does seem to get a bit squirrelly if I have it fully extended - forget about it with any sort of wind. I would guess that is the case for most others as well though...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back