MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

airline guncase advice

Reading the information above, there are several statements that are not correct. One of your best resources is the TSA. Believe it or not they have some guidelines on flying with firearms.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Here's a quote from their guidelines:
Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm.

I thought that you couldn't use a TSA lock either, but it doesn't specifically say that in the guidelines. It does say "Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock." which would lead me to believe that a TSA lock that everyone and their dog has a key to wouldn't be a very good choice.

I am by no means an expert at flying with a firearm, but it wasn't rocket science. It was way easier than I expected. I went a little over the top on my first flight and had my serial numbers all filled out on the TSA online form and all that, and the airlines have a postcard type form that they use instead that takes about 15 seconds to fill out and sign.

I have the Pelican 1750 case and it worked really well. Has to be hard sided and lockable.

Enjoy your trip.

I just flew in November and it was much easier than I expected. I have a Pelican 1750 double rifle case. Cutting out the foam for the rifle was a breeze. I had 2 boxes of factory ammo, my knife and folding saw in there too. At check in you have to declare the firearm. You sign a paper stating the gun is unloaded. That form goes in the case and the ticket agent had me lock the case. I used small master locks through each hole for a total of 4. from there I had to walk it down to the TSA area and all they did was make sure it was locked. At the destination airport, you pick up at he oversized baggage claim area. I flew Delta, Ravn and American and had no issues at all.

You learn something new everyday. I also have never flown with the gun and ammo in the same container. I guess the changed the laws since I first started flying with a weapon fifteen or so years ago. Great thread!

When I've gone to Alaska (about the only place I fly to hunt) I've gone a different route with gun cases. One of the guys in our hunting group bought a golf club case for the guns. It offers several advantages over most other cases. First it doesn't look like a gun case, probably not much of an issue in the USA but if you ever hunt Africa you will find stories of stolen rifles that just never showed up on the baggage carousel. Second, all of the guns will fit in one case. Last trip to AK we had five rifles and a shotgun in one case. Third, if you have to fly out in a bush plane a hard case won't go with you and you will need soft cases. The rifles go in soft cases, then into the hard case. To cushion them we wrap our coats around them. A used hard case for golf clubs can be had pretty cheaply too.

^^^ THIS^^^
I flew to Alaska in January using SKB golf case. Max it out to 50 lbs. get your monies worth. I'll be flying again to AK with this set up in 9 more days. I attached 2 gate latches to it, 1 at each end, and then put non-TSA locks on them.

Attachments

• 20170112_041959.jpg
    20170112_041959.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 171
I've never found the need to cut my foam on my Pelican 1750. To me it works better by not cutting it.

Pelican for me, I only take one gun and put ammo, knives, optics, and a fly rod in the case as well. If traveling with a friend, go with a double case to reduce the number of bags, toting luggage, coolers, and guns through shuttles and the airport is usually the biggest hassle of the trip. Additional bags can also big a big cost item.

I borrowed a Cabela`s Stainless Steel Double Rifle case in 2015 and packed 2 rifles.
This case had the long bar that covered 3 latches and the owner gave me one very large Master Lock with 2 keys.
TSA in Philadelphia was surprising decent and fingered around the guns to see if anything was under the foam.
Then they put a card inside of it and then ran it through what looked like an MRI Machine right at the counter.
The handlers in Philly were not used to seeing many bolt rifles and were almost intrigued.
Case was never opened and when I landed in Houston, it was untouched and the lady at the counter asked me where I was hunting?
2 different worlds for sure.......but my point is that I would buy the best you can and spend $30-$50 bucks for M.O.A.L. ( Mother of all locks)

10Dogs

Just watched the youtube video. That was a ton of help, thanks Randy and thanks for some of you pointing it out. Now to find a pelican case on sale and get some locks.

Good choice of airline! :)

On my last trip to AK my departing flight from San Diego was cancelled due to mechanical issues. They worked hard to figure out how they could get me to Anchorage in time to catch my connecting flight to Adak. They delayed the Adak flight for me and upon arrival in Anchorage they told everyone to remain seated until I got off the plane first. Then upon boarding the Adak flight they gave me VIP treatment.

Try Kalispel Cases.

+1 I have a Kalispel case that I bought years ago for cheap cheap cheap. I've never even flown with it, it was just too good of a deal to pass up. While it's not light, I cannot imagine a better constructed, tough as nails, case.

Pelican for me, I only take one gun and put ammo, knives, optics, and a fly rod in the case as well. If traveling with a friend, go with a double case to reduce the number of bags, toting luggage, coolers, and guns through shuttles and the airport is usually the biggest hassle of the trip. Additional bags can also big a big cost item.

I thought ammo was supposed to be separate from the firearm?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back