Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

airline guncase advice

VAspeedgoat

I will be flying with firearms for the first time this fall. I have checked the airlines website and can store the guns and ammo in the same case. I assume I should also put knives in there too. I have several questions though.

First, what brands should I look at? I have been told skb but was curious what other brands are good.

Should I get the kind where the guns are in the same compartment or the ones where there is foam between them?

What are TSA locks and are they necesary vs a regular lock?

There are two of us going. Should we each take two guns in two cases or combine three or four guns into one case? I am concerned about lost baggage or is this a concern?

Should I bypass the airline and ship to the hotel?

Thanks in advance

These are awesome questions. I have no insight. But am def gonna tag along bc I've been wondering the same thing.

SKB OR A PELICAN. I have a pelican it has been a great case. What I have started doing is packing clothing around my guns when flying saves space in my 2nd checked bag which is usually a cooler. I also pack a large duffel and ship several items back usps if I bring a deer back in the cooler.
You will not need to have a tsa lock I use regular master locks always have they seem to be fine. We sometimes combine two weapons per case to save space and a checked bag for one of us (more coolers)…

I have flown extensively with my guns. Do it right and by a pelican case. I have over a dozen trips with my gun. Never damage, never lost zero. You can put both in one case. Pelican makes a double case, only thing is if they lose it your both screwed. You rather have separate so at least one gun shows up. I personally have never had one late or missing. As far a locks I sue TSA approved brass combo locks. I can send pic if you need. I would never ever ship my gun, I want to see it go on plane, and pick it up. Way more stuff gets lost or stolen by shipping.

Ammo needs to be in original factory boxes. They don't like hand loads. Its always the same drill. Go to airline counter, they make you sign a red card that its unloaded, then TSA will loo at it and your good to go. Really not a big deal.

I fly often with my rifles. SKB key lock. Never had a problem, never late, never lost, never had the scope off after travel. This year will be my 11th year flying west with rifles to hunt.

For work, we used to fly with and ship our dart rifles all over the country in a Pelican case. It made probably a half dozen trips a year, for at least 4 or 5 years and we never had any trouble with it. Judging by the looks of it, it took a pretty good beating on its travels, too.

Shipping can be a royal pain. Much easier to just fly with it.
Check your zero when you get there...even if the case looks fine. Hunting Husband did have a scope knocked out of alignment when he went to Alaska once, though it wasn't in a Pelican case.

Pelican, cutting the foam is easy, i went on Youtube, saw how they did it, grabbed an electric carving knife, job done. Flew from the UK to Montana, checked zero, bang on.
Make sure all lockable holes have a lock attached.
Fit TSA locks and you won't have to hang around, otherwise on a connecting flight (probably not in domestic flight) you have to be present to unlock your case.
Cheers
Richard

Pelican or skb I have both, regular locks, I would double check ammo and rifle together because I have never been able to do that. It has always been in separate cases. I used the pick and pluck foam, make sure you have a wheeled case. (you will thank me later on that)

Taking 2 guns apiece I would take 2 cases, and put one of yours and one of his in each. Hedge a little against loss and damage. I have a pelican and it took five minutes to cut the foam out with a sharp knife. I believe using tsa locks would violate the rule that no one else can have access to the guns.

Last edited:
I am a former airline pilot and before that I was a baggage handler, that experience has proven the Pelican cases over all others hands down. I've found loose rifles in the baggage compartment not because of miss handling, but due to poor quality cases hinges failing after being pried open by the cargo adjacent to them shifting and rubbing.

There are some very high end aluminum cases that I have never been able to find in a store that I would recommend but i have no idea who makes them. I can only recommend them because they're freaking heavy and tough as nails.

It's important to consider puncture resistance in the cases as well as stability and security. When considering a particular case, consider what would happen if the corner of a heavy chest or some other relatively sharp edge was dropped on it. Would it puncture or crack?

Some advice:

First: If you are locking a pistol inside a suitcase, remember that the SUITCASE must be locked with a TSA lock that can be opened by TSA. However the guncase containing the pistol MUST NOT be able to be accessed by TSA. You will open this lock for them in person during an inspection so they will not need nor are they permitted to open your gun case outside of your immediate presence. Also, either the suitcase or the gun case must be hard sided. You can't lock a pistol rug in side a canvas duffel. Small pistol hardcase inside a soft sidee suitcase is how I go. Rifle cases must be locked with conventional, non TSA lock.

As TSA lock is one that TSA can open for inspection down in the bowels of the airport. When they do so a little red collar pops up to show you that someone has been in your bag. TSA locks go on suitcases, conventional locks go on guncases (even if inside the suitcase)

Anyways, some of those TSA (stands for Thousand Standing Around) turds are on power trips. Know your rights, be courteous and be professional, but don't let them push you around. Contrary to what some of them want you to believe, THEY ARE NOT LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS. Some, in fact most are very courteous and professional themselves and are quite honestly a pleasure to work with. But there's a turd in every punchbowl.

Second: USE COMBINATION LOCKS. You lock your bags, throw your keys in your carry on or your pocket. Your bag and pockets get emptied at the screening checkpoint. Somehow your keys don't make it back in. Next thing you know, on the other end all of a sudden you need bolt cutters. Go get a pair of high quality combination locks that let you set your own combination to secure your gun cases. There are a thousand ways for keys to get lost at the airport. Can't lose them if you don't need them.

Third: Don't check in online. Go to the ticket counter early. I say early because its a pain in the neck when you're dragging a rifle case and other luggage through a big crowd of zombies (tourists lose their damn mind and all common sense when they get to the airport). When you speak to the agent, have your id ready to hand her/him and as you do say "good morning, how are you? I'll need to do a firearms declaration please". If you say it like that it'll look like you've done it a million times. It's also a very simple process that the agent has been through a million times so just follow her lead. Every airline does it slightly different so theres no worry about looking like you know what you're doing. :)

I don't know where you're going, but Alaska Airlines is easliy the best with this process. The handle tons of hunters going to/from Alaska and out west. Others do to, but it seems to me a little extra care is given on their part versus the competition.

Good luck, have fun, and don't worry...it's a piece of cake. But spend some money on a good case.

Last edited:
I like the idea of the combination locks because I did have a buddy lose his keys. I have had brief moments of panic looking for keys as well, I normally clip them inside my carry on day pack but with combo you don't have to worry about that. I bring an extra lock as well, I recently had one missing off my case at one of my destination points.

If you watch close you can pick up a 1750 pelican in the $180 range.

Pelican 1750......have my own personal and used them (Pelican) exclusively in SOF deployments. Bomb-proof. The ONLY downfall is the weight but that is the price for security. Got mine on sale for $169.....money well spent.

When I've gone to Alaska (about the only place I fly to hunt) I've gone a different route with gun cases. One of the guys in our hunting group bought a golf club case for the guns. It offers several advantages over most other cases. First it doesn't look like a gun case, probably not much of an issue in the USA but if you ever hunt Africa you will find stories of stolen rifles that just never showed up on the baggage carousel. Second, all of the guns will fit in one case. Last trip to AK we had five rifles and a shotgun in one case. Third, if you have to fly out in a bush plane a hard case won't go with you and you will need soft cases. The rifles go in soft cases, then into the hard case. To cushion them we wrap our coats around them. A used hard case for golf clubs can be had pretty cheaply too.

Pelican 1750, Randy just had a you tide video on this exact subject! Search it

I don't fly much, but enough to know ammo has never been allowed in the case with the gun. I can also assure you they don't know the difference between factory or reloaded rounds. Ammo must be either in original box or container made for holding ammo. I duct tape around box so nothing can come get loose. They will confiscate loose rounds and any open box. Check there may be a restriction on how many boxes of ammo you may have.

As far as locks, if you go into Canada, expect anything may happen if that lock is not TSA. I have had two gun case locks removed from my case that were not TSA. On one occasion lock was replaced with combo lock with combo written on it, the other occasion case was returned to me with no lock, locking rod about to fall off. I have had no issues since using a TSA lock.

Expect anything when flying and roll with the punches.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx

Would someone please take a look to see if I am missing something? As I understand it, I can take 11 lbs of ammo and it can be in the same case as the fire arms. Should I bring another case to be ready for problems?

Now I'm really confused about the tsa locks. Have or don't have? We will be flying direct from dulles to denver if that makes a difference.

Firearms

United accepts shooting equipment as checked baggage in hard-sided, securely locked firearms cases or containers. Locked cases that can easily be opened are not permitted. All firearms cases must meet the following safety criteria in order to be accepted for travel:

Firearms will be accepted only from a customer who is 18 years of age or older.
The regulations below refer to all firearms (or items that may resemble a firearm), including airsoft guns, BB guns, paintball guns and any antique trophy guns or weapons.
International firearm regulations and laws vary by destination and transiting country. Contact appropriate consulates or embassies to obtain specific entry requirements applicable to destination(s). United is not liable for any assistance or information relating to such regulations or compliance with such laws provided by any United employee or agent to any customers, or for the consequences to any customer resulting from his or her failure to comply with such regulations or laws.
Firearms are not accepted to and from Bahrain, Cuba, Federated States of Micronesia, Israel, Marshall Islands, Nigeria, Palau, Philippines, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates and Vietnam.
Customers traveling to Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA) with checked firearms and/or ammunition must be in possession of a gun import license or a temporary transportation permit, which must be certified and validated by a Guatemalan Consulate. Customers traveling with checked firearms and/or ammunition through Guatemala City do not require a permit as long as their bag does not leave the airport controlled area. Customers must ensure they have all the necessary documents required at their final destination.
Customers traveling to or through Milan, Italy (MXP) or Rome, Italy (FCO) with checked firearms/ammunition are subject to police clearance at their first point of entry into Italy. Security staff will take the firearms/ammunition to the police office for inspection. Firearms and ammunition must be packed in separate containers.
Customers traveling to or through Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS) with checked firearms/ammunition must obtain permission from the Netherlands Consulate/Embassy in their country of origin prior to departure. Weapons are subject to confiscation in Amsterdam unless the owner can show all required permits. Customers traveling on military orders with checked firearms may do so without prior consent from Dutch Customs. Checked military ammunition is forbidden.
For travel to and from the United Kingdom, pistols, rifles and shotguns must be packed in a hard-sided rifle case. Customers must have the appropriate license or certificate in addition to a British Visitor's Permit (BVP). A Great Britain resident will need to act as a sponsor and submit a BVP application to their local firearms licensing department on your behalf.
Curbside check-in of a firearm is not permitted.
Firearms must be packed in a hard-sided container with a lock. The container must be locked at the time of acceptance by United Airlines and the key or combination must remain in the customer's possession. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can easily be opened will not be accepted for travel. Using a TSA-approved lock can help speed up the security screening process for firearms.
Handguns must be packed in a hard-sided container with a lock. The container must be locked at the time of acceptance by United Airlines and the key or combination must remain in the customer's possession. The locked hard-sized container holding the handgun may be placed inside an unlocked soft-side piece of luggage. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can easily be opened will not be accepted for travel.
Customers may only pack up to five firearms in any case or bag. However, there is no limit on the number of cases or bags they are permitted to check.
The firearm will be transported in a section of the aircraft that is inaccessible to the customer. Proof of registration is not required.
Firearms carried in addition to the free baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge.
No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried.
The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.
The ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers.
The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement.
Loaded ammunition magazines or clips must be removed from the firearm, and must be securely packed in boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition and must fit over any exposed ends of the magazine or clip.
Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectile will not be accepted.
Black powder, for black powder arms, is considered hazardous material and will not be accepted as checked baggage.
First or second checked bag service charges may apply.

Note: Customer must sign and date a Firearm Declaration Tag declaring that the firearm is not

Here is a copy of the text on the website.

Back