How Recent Weather Affects Turkey Hunting

Brachii

Hello! Going turkey hunting in Colorado next week in an area that's had lots of rain and even hail in this week. Wondering how that may affect, if at all, the location of the turkey and their behavior. I was planning on following the valleys and creek beds, but with water in excess, maybe higher ground/ tops of hills and mountains would be better? Anyone familiar with this scenario? Thanks

I can't vouch for Colorado but I noticed this year that one property I hunt had a really muddy ag field due to the rain and there were not turkeys using it. I had been seeing them out there on a regular basis before it was muddy and after it rained it was like they disappeared. Didn't even hear a gobble on the property in two days of hunting.

Depends a lot on where your looking to hunt I found no difference in the turkey's location over the last couple of weeks... and no difference from where I have seen them over the last 3 years during this time of the year. I killed a decent Tom 3 weeks ago, 2 weeks ago it snowed 12 inches in that area, last week I saw the group of birds he was with in the exact same spot.

It rained for four days last week here in Iowa, The turkeys were active during midday, during the lighter periods of rain. It stormed early Monday morning this week, lots of lightning, thunder, the whole nine yards. The storm ended around 5 a.m. and the turkeys were in every field with green growth by 7 a.m. Look for open areas with grass where they will pick insects and worms. These are Easterns, but I would guess the turkeys in Colorado will act the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back