Caribou Gear

Merino Wool Care

plumber1969

Guys,
A serious question on the care of merino wool base layers. We typically use unscented laundry soap on our hunting clothes and since wool is delicate, what do you use? I haven't found unscented woolite or anything similar. Do you wash by hand and air dry it when out for over a week?

In civilization I machine wash delicate with McNett/GearAid Wool Wash and air dry. Nikwax wool wash is fine too. If out for an extended period you could rinse and dry if you need to, but you might not get the weather to get it dry in the field very well.

I can tell you what not to do, leave it within sight of your wife, she might, as in my case, wash it in fabric conditioner, Merino ruined!
Cheers
Richard

Last edited:
Use the scent free detergent and dry on low in dryer and have had no problems. Never tried the specific wool wash but may try some now, never heard of the McNett/ GearAid.

I just use light dose of woolite & hydrogen peroxide. Air dry. On all my woolens.
Don't like any scents in any of my clothes anymore. Will look at the 2 mentioned now.

whatever you do... do not... I repeat do not throw it in the dryer with all the other clothes and dry on heat.

Believe me your mans XL 100% lightweight olive green sweater that you absolutely love, will fit your 9 year old daughter.

Just ask me..

I tried the special wool detergent. I don't notice any difference between that and Tide Free and Clear.

Probably not recommended. But I always just wash with unscientific detergent and air dry. Never had a problem.
In the field I'll wash my clothes in a dry bag with some campsuds and air dry every few days. Worked great.

Depends on your merino... firstlite for instance is pretty much idiot proof. I have washed my firstlite chama hoodie in hot water and dried, on accident, on high with no ill effects. Generally I use tide free/gentle unscented and then through about a cup and a half of vinegar in the bleach compartment. The vinegar gets released in the rinse cycle and will help kill any odor, if you put the vinegar directly in the wash the detergent neutralizes the acid and it won't have any effect. Vinegar works amazing on synthetics as well. After washing I air dry.

You need to be careful what you through in with it. Zippers and other items on clothing can tear holes

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back