New hunting trailer and truck.

There's something out of kilter here. You get this trailer, a new 4X4XFord and all your wife gets is an indoor dunny; make sure you're plenty nice to her in the future. :)

Lol, you are darn right. I am very fortunate. We sold my excavator and some joint property this year. So she got a complete basement remodel for the kids, a guest room and an office. I kept complaining how I missed my yearly trips from my youth and she told me I needed to quit complaining and go. The problem was I had long since sold everything needed when I joined the Army and again when we got married. She never was part of any of that so she never really knew the investment. I sold her on Randy’s elk hunt for 1000. Now the joke is my $1000 elk hunt.

If anyone is interested in the cost, with us doing all the labor and picking up everything at yard sales except the wood and carpet remnants we came in at under 5k on the trailer. Being it is a 2015 model and all aluminum it should last long enough with weekend family trips to pay for itself. If your thinking about doing one of these shop around used first, when new the original owner paid over 6k for the trailer.

Last edited:
I've got something similar in mind, but with a few differences. I'd like mine to also double as a toy hauler, but the catch is my UTV needs an 80+" door/ceiling... I do like the layout you have and things look better constructed IMO than what comes in most campers.

I've got something similar in mind, but with a few differences. I'd like mine to also double as a toy hauler, but the catch is my UTV needs an 80+" door/ceiling... I do like the layout you have and things look better constructed IMO than what comes in most campers.

You will need at least a 16’ to make it fit. With those ez tracks that bunk comes out in 5 min and I can fit a quad in there in between the kitchen and the bunk if I set it back in place. The floor will also fit a twin air mattress. However, at that point my axle is maxed out. I will probably have to upgrade it if we start using that way in the future. Check out R&R trailers in MI. They work with you and pics to draw out what you want. Price was better than some I saw premanufactured. The ones I looked at for a UTV that I stole the design from were upwards of 20k. They were a lot nicer finishes but I didn’t need any of that.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I'd go with fewer creature comforts than you did. However, what you did gave me quite a few ideas. In looking at used trailers online, at least around here, a dual axle bumper pull horse trailer can be had pretty darn cheap. It'd more than handle the weight of the machine, but that extra strength means the empty trailer is much heavier. Yet some of them are tall enough to fit the UTV. It's very much a "someday" project...

Well after a summers work I am going to call it done for now as we set to leave on Monday for MT. I added a kitchenette, water storage, a removable bunk, folding table, insulated the floor with closed cell soft foam padding, added indoor outdoor carpet, and got my wife a portable crapper. It already was insulated with 12/110 volt power. I just upgraded the battery to last longer. Thanks to Buckykm1 for his help in letting me see his and giving me ideas.

View attachment 75225View attachment 75226View attachment 75227View attachment 75228

Just curious (and if I am seeing it correctly) is that a gravity-fed water setup for the sink/faucet with the blue cans? Then it drains out the floor? Looks great.

I actually found a camper 12v pump system from 1978 in my dad old stuff. Never been used so I installed it. It doesn’t really need the pump as gravity would do just fine. I do have it drained down thru the floor to the ground for now. The plan is to install a tank or buy a portable one later. In the mean time if I have to I can drain into a 5 gallon bucket as well.

I'm definitely romancing the idea of getting a setup like this. I want to be able to sleep 3 and have some good storage. I'm not handy. How hard is it to do this setup?

I wanted to revive this thread and see if there was any interest in this. We bought a new camper and this one needs a new home. It works really well for 2 guys hunting. It’s been to MT and WY twice. We have upgraded the axle to a 5200lb and added a 8’ awning. PM if your interested

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back