New hunting trailer and truck.

Addicting

We sold of our excavator and did a little shopping on Craigslist this weekend. After looking at all different kinds of toy haulers, campers, and slide in truck campers we decided to just take that money and put it towards a new truck with a topper and small trailer. We have the trucks narrowed down to a F150 and Silverado 1500. Leaning towards the F150 because the rear seat area is a lot nicer and we can fit the dog crate back there with the seats up.

We found this little trailer and bought it. For this trailer we are minimalist and thinks we can get by with it for weekend adventures if we put a little TLC in the inside for basic necessities. If you have any lessons learned please share.

Here is the details on the trailer:
Enclosed cargo trailer, R&R 712VDC Deluxe Cargo Trailer, 7' wide, 12' long plus v-nose. Outside dimensions 17.25 ft long and 8.5 ft wide. Has extra 6" so 9 ft high outside and 6.6 ft height inside. Single 3500 lb. axle with electric brakes. 1680 lb. dry wt. 15" radial tires. Has ramp door, 2 RV windows, RV side door w/window and screen door, 2 roof vents (one with 12v power fan), four 12 volt lights, 12 volt outlet, spare tire and inside spare holder, fully insulated walls and ceiling, stabilizer jacks, 110 volt mini service (plug in on outside and 3 outlets inside). Includes 2 e-tracks @ 5' on each side wall.

trailer.jpgtrailer1.jpgtrailer2.jpgtrailer3.jpg

Storage, storage storage!

I would put some sort of rack on top to hold larger bulky items/gas cans. On the inside I would suspect you have two or 4 bed areas? If so folding benches that double as seating for eating. Insulation is key and ventilation if running any sort of propane heat source. Look into 1 or 2 10x10 rv crank up vents for the top. Could also do a sort of pass thru so you can run heater up front and propane hose from tank outside. Use old area rugs for the floor!

Other than that enjoy it!

I am going to set it up like bunks in the back. Twin/Single XL are 39 × 80 and it has a 80" inside width. That will give us a nice warm dry place to sleep. I need to figure out a good layout as space is going to be a premium. It has 2 vents and one is a power vent incase the chili is too volatile. I can have the manufacture install aluminum cabinets in the front of it for storage. I am also going to look into fitting a small propane cook top and sink in it. I also may take it down and have an awning put on it so we are not cramped inside it all the time if the weather is decent. Too many options.

Clothes lines/hooks for the inevitable drying times.

Exterior attachment points for a tarp/vestibule.....cook/dining outside when weather allows, and covered storage of gear that doesn't need to be inside. External lighting off of the trailer into the vestibule would be great as well.

I am also going to have a topper on the truck, I had one when we went out west last time and it turned into a life saver when we realized we left the tent poles at home 1800 miles away. I think most of the totes can just stay in the back of the truck along with spares.

I am worried about drying things out, Bucky warned me about that with his trailer build. Being only a 7x12 there isn't much room to hang clothes. We may set up the tent still to have more space. I do like that vestibule thought.

Looks like a lot of great potential. I'd also think about ventilation. Bunch of folks sleeping in there create a lot of water vapor and cause condensation issues.

Found this online, could give us the space we need to be able to hang things up, don't know how well it would work in the wind though. Set up time didn't seem so bad in their video.
IMG_0226.JPG

I really like this as an addition but the company is in Australia and it wouldn't be economical to have it shipped here. Started calling around a little and not to many people want to try to make something similar. The frame would be easy enough for me to make out of aluminum and I have enough room to haul a portable frame. I would just need the canvas.

alpine canvas.jpg

I really like this as an addition but the company is in Australia and it wouldn't be economical to have it shipped here. Started calling around a little and not to many people want to try to make something similar. The frame would be easy enough for me to make out of aluminum and I have enough room to haul a portable frame. I would just need the canvas.

View attachment 70586

Try Davis Tent in Denver......they do custom work and their canvas is top notch.

I called them and they do too much mass production to do one offs. He did refer me over to Acme tent who seemed to be interested. Thanks for the info.

I find this thread intriguing. I used to have a 5x8 Haulmark. I loved that little thing. Curse the day I sold it. Wasn't as nice or large as your find but I loved it. Camped in it many times. I'd take off all the interior walls and spray foam insulation. Then reclad it. The aluminum cabinets is a good idea. They should be light weight and robust. A port for plumbing outside might be a good idea for rinsing off gear hands or even a quick shower. The bunks (if inside width is permissible) could go side to side along the ramp door. Then you could lower the ramp revealing a table top and if you support the ramp with some blocks that could be a deck?? Just tossing out ideas. The options are endless. Sounds like a super fun project.

Been looking at a lot of canvas places and some awning places. I thought this was a pretty simple project but it's turning out to be more of a challenge. A lot of shops like to stick within their comfort zone. As soon as you start talking modifications they start shying away. Waiting for a few call backs and hopefully I have some good news later next week.

I due boat work here in fl if you need the canvas go to you boat dealer and find out who's do in g their custom canvas
Here in fl softshell custom canvas has built me some great stuff

I contacted quite a few of those and they will do it but we are in busy season here for boat canvas. They are mostly all backed up till end of July time frame. I ended up contacting Shademaker awnings.http://www.shademakerproducts.com/ They basically make what I am looking for. After talking to them on the phone they frequently customize theirs to fit different height and sizes. I also liked that they will make it out any canvas I want and I do not have to have the pin strips like most awning are. So when I told him what and where I would be using it at they were very supportive and informative on what they would need to do and what they have done in the past. I just need to send them a broadside photo with measurements and they will have it to me in a week or so.

I am going to take pictures next week and will keep you updated on the transformation.

I'd take off all the interior walls and spray foam insulation. Then reclad it.

This is what we did on my bro-in-laws 16' trailer. It made a world of difference not only for heating/cooling but from a structure standpoint it really seemed to strengthen the walls and roof. Highly recommend.

The title was new trailer and truck. I didn't post anything on that yet as we were still undecided. Now it's official, the wife gave me the checkbook and let me go to the dealership. We ordered a 2017 F150 XLT FX4 with the Sport interior and the V8 engine. Never had a new truck before so I am pretty excited. With sufficient haggling we ended up 400 below invoice and the tires upgraded to BFG ATs. Now we are shopping for a Topper. Looking at Leer or ARE. I had an ARE last time with the Auto locks on it and really liked that feature but my budget got destroyed today.

Last edited:
Well after a summers work I am going to call it done for now as we set to leave on Monday for MT. I added a kitchenette, water storage, a removable bunk, folding table, insulated the floor with closed cell soft foam padding, added indoor outdoor carpet, and got my wife a portable crapper. It already was insulated with 12/110 volt power. I just upgraded the battery to last longer. Thanks to Buckykm1 for his help in letting me see his and giving me ideas.

8CA8D4B8-1E34-48C0-A00C-B0FD78A365D0.jpgCD4B049B-1F3F-4EAB-AF6E-BA85B75370BD.jpg2321491E-757C-4FFA-AC38-E48EB7193C21.jpg091CAC7D-34BC-41C9-B859-9C24A4DB1A87.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back