Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

First Bird

G. McAlister

After 4 years of chasing turkey, I finally connected skill, luck, and opportunity to harvest a great bird with an 11 inch beard and one inch spurs. I think I'm hooked for life. IMG_3908.jpg

Congrats! My trip was rained out last week, and I'm hoping to find sometime soon to get out.

Thanks for all the comments guys. It was truly a unique turkey hunt on the last day of season. I changed strategies from setting up a spot to call in a bird at first light to a spot and stalk approach starting at mid morning. Luckily this guy gobbled before I rounded a stand of trees and ran straight into him. It allowed me the time to hop into the woods and call him in to a good shooting position.

Thanks for all the comments guys. It was truly a unique turkey hunt on the last day of season. I changed strategies from setting up a spot to call in a bird at first light to a spot and stalk approach starting at mid morning. Luckily this guy gobbled before I rounded a stand of trees and ran straight into him. It allowed me the time to hop into the woods and call him in to a good shooting position.
I've done the spot and stalk three times now on turkeys. The spot and stalk this year took less time than last years hunt when the hens flew into my decoys at sunup and the tom slowly strutted his way into shooting position.

I've done the spot and stalk three times now on turkeys. The spot and stalk this year took less time than last years hunt when the hens flew into my decoys at sunup and the tom slowly strutted his way into shooting position.

After doing it this way I really don't want to go back to decoys and a static location. I'm too fidgety as it is.

After doing it this way I really don't want to go back to decoys and a static location. I'm too fidgety as it is.

Spot and stalk is indeed thrilling, and wonderful when you pull it off. Some states (PA and others?) require the wearing of hunter orange if you are moving, and perhaps even make the act of stalking illegal as well. The vast majority of accidental shootings occur when moving in on "turkeys" that turn out to be hunters. Know your regs and keep your wits about you!!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back