4.5-14x40 Too Much for Elk?

Chase

I'm working with a Weatherby Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag. I purchased the rifle in 2004 and put a VX-1 3-9x40 on it. I've always had 1" groups at 100 yds or better out of this set-up. Recently I received a new VX-3 4.5-14x40 as a gift (last model year before they went to VX-3i). My plan is to swap out scopes as I figure the 10+ year newer VX-3 should be a decent step up. I am taking this rifle to Colorado this fall for an elk hunt in Unit 22 and I'm curious whether I'd be better off to keep the lower magnification. Several threads I've seen on here mention that 3-9 is plenty for most elk hunting circumstances and I don't really have any interest in trying to take a 600 yard shot at an elk. Is there really that much difference between 3x and 4.5x for the low end? Thanks in advance for the input.

Glass is better with the VX-3. You might gain some low light performance. Up to you if it's worth it. mtmuley

I use a 4-12 for whitetail hunting and I've never found the 4x to be too much power even on close shots. In fact when I was younger I hunted with a straight 4x scope.

You'll be glad you switched. The VX3 is fine glass. Don't sweat the powers.

I use a similar setup and think it works fine. The higher power is really helpful from time to time and the 3x vs 4.5x doesn't seem to make a big difference.

I don't think that's too much magnification at all, plenty of low end for almost any situation. I've got a couple of the VX-3 4.5-14x40s and love them. I don't use the top or bottom range of magnification for most shots, but I'm sure I've used the max magnification more than the lowest. I like zoom.

You'll be glad you went from vx-1 to vx3. 4.5 power will not be too much unless you're hunting some thicket where you cannot see more than 15 yards in any direction.

Its a better scope, especially for early AM/PM. Just remember to keep the mag down at the bottom. For two reasons, better eye relief and you will see the whole animal or most of it at close range. I have personally seen hunters miss or be unable to make a good shot because they had the magnification cranked up to the highest setting and either couldn't find the elk in the scope or saw only hair. One of these guys also flayed off the skin on his nose from the tip to his eyebrow. Its easy to crawl the stock at high power. Remember that you may only have one chance at your elk and things can get pretty exciting. If the power is wrong you may not have the time and/or presence of mind to change it before the elk says "Bye-Bye". GJ

Last edited:
I use a 3.5 x 14 x 44now now after using a 3x9x40 & 50 Leupold for many years.Got a deal & was looking at a similar Leupold to yours.
As stated the low light gathering,adjustability & clarity @ distance are what you need most times in the west for game. It is a variable after all.

I killed an elk with the VX-3i 4.5-14x40 at about 50 yards, early morning with a lite mist. It will work great.

However, that was the 2nd morning.

The first morning I had the same opportunity at the same yardage but couldn't get on the bull for some reason and before I could, he wandered off.

I know better but I had stupidly left the scope set on 12X when checking to see if it was sighted in from travel.

The 2nd bull was bigger so it worked out. :)

You will very much like the 4.5-14x40mm Leupold on that rifle. I have the exact same scope on a .280 AI I had built and love that scope. That's my first variable ever and all of my other rifles have fixed 4x or 6x Leupolds and I have never felt handicapped in timber at close range...........ever! Best of luck.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back