MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

NM Unit 53

Tuna

Looking for a little help here,

I drew an archery tag for Unit 53, second season. I'm currently deployed with the USAF and doing all the internet scouting that I can, but I won't be back in the states until the middle to end of August so I may not get a chance to actually put my boots on the ground until the hunt. I'm not looking for anyone's sweet spot or anything like that, just trying to get a feel for the unit, how high up to get, maybe a point in the right direction. From what I've been reading the unit is incredibly steep and fitness is going to be key. I plan on packing into the wilderness to avoid the ATV scene and generally get away from the crowds. I've had my eye on the area around Lobo Peak up by the Taos Ski Valley.

If anyone is willing to help out I would greatly appreciate it and it can all be done by PM so as not to give away of your hard earned intel.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

I've been hunting in New Mexico for the last 3 years, but this is my first archery elk hunt. I have yet to harvest an elk myself but have been on several hunts with friends and family. This is the first time I have drawn an elk tag in New Mexico, I did go on a very serious bow hike last year with the late season 6 point or better tag but never found a legal bull.

That late season tag is a tough one. Hopefully you'll hear some bugles up there and can get after them. The approach looks hellaciously steep, but once you get down in that drainage you should have a great time chasing bulls up there. I like the looks of it. Any plan to haul it out? I don't see much in the way of trails. That'll be a grunt.

There are a few trails but they are crazy steep. You may be in excellent fitness and able to tackle the hiking no problem. But keep in mind that it wears on you after 10 days. And Lobo is almost 5k feet above any trailhead meaning lots of grueling packouts. That said, it may hold elk since few others will likely venture in there.

Personally I find it difficult to sleep above 11k feet due to the altitude. It also looks like finding flat ground might be difficult below that. Since scouting ahead of time sounds tough given your situation, you might consider the area by Greenie Peak north of RR. It will be vastly easier to get around and thus vastly more crowded. But it also borders private (always a good sign - feed and water) and the Valle Vidal.

Just my friendly suggestion.

Brian, I have the same tag this year, 2nd year in a row and 5th time in that unit, I haven't been disappointed yet. Just got back from turkey hunting/scouting the end of the season out there. It is some steep country but you're headed in the right direction. I would approach from the North off of 38, it's longer but easier and doubt you will have to go all the way to Lobo to find elk. The area mentioned above around greenie is good as well but traffic is heavy, just have to be sneakier than the next guy and willing to work harder. From experience, some of the private in that area isn't archery hunted and become sanctuaries(thus frustration) after the first week or so of the season. Just my $.02.

Thank you all for the info, now it's just a waiting game till September.

Hi All,

I am looking at this unit for mule deer archery next season. It have heard it is steep challenging terrain . I'd appreciate any info you might have to share on mule deer you might have seen in your elk hunts. Thanks for anything you might have.
v/r
Silas

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back